Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Jake Wood to waltz through or face the dance-off?
PUBLISHED: 22:40 06 December 2014 | UPDATED: 20:32 07 December 2014
EastEnders actor Jake Wood needs the viewers’ votes to avoid the dreaded dance-off and to secure him a semi-final spot in the 2014 series of Strictly Come Dancing.
There was no repeat of last week’s Argentine Tango ‘Greek tragedy’, as Jake Wood and partner Janette Manrara scored two 10s for their circus-themed Charleston to ‘Entry of the Gladiators’.
Judge Bruno described the routine as “a riot of surreal slapstick” and Darcey Bussell loved the imaginative lifts.
Despite scoring 38 out of 40 for their charming dance, the couple still need the viewers to keep them in the competition after finishing sixth in the Waltz-a-Thon – and joint second from bottom at the end of the quarter-final live show.
The snake-hipped Jake was second on the judges’ leaderboard after the first dances tonight (Saturday), behind Caroline Flack and Pasha Kovalev, who scored 39 for their intense Argentine Tango.
But the Tewin-based BBC One soap star, who plays Max Branning in EastEnders, didn’t do so well in the Waltz-a-Thon, with all six couples on the floor at the same time.
With six extra points at stake, it was Pixie Lott and Trent Whiddon who caught the judges’ eye and received top marks, pushing them one point above Jake, Simon Webbe and Frankie Bridge.
Pixie and Trent had been bottom of the leaderboard after the first routines.
Caroline and Pasha received three points and stayed top of the table, while Mark Wright and Karen Hauer’s two points left them bottom overall.
After the show, Jake Wood took to Twitter to thank the public for their support.
From his official Twitter account @mrjakedwood he tweeted: “Me and @JManrara are so overwhelmed by all your support guys, thank you #StrictlyComeDancing”
His pro partner Janette Manrara (@JManrara) also tweeted: “Woo hoo! We got two 10s... but sixth place in the Waltzathon! This is a risky competition. Please vote guys! @mrjakedwood & I need you!”
Voting has now closed and the results will be announced on Sunday.
Here are the dances, music and scores for Saturday’s Week 11 Live Show:
* Caroline Flack and Pasha Kovalev: Argentine Tango to the Traditional Version of ‘La Cumparsita’.
* Pixie Lott and Trent Whiddon: Cha Cha to the Glee Cast version of ‘Love Shack’.
* Jake Wood and Janette Manrara: Charleston to ‘Entry of the Gladiators’ by Ken Griffin’s Circus Band.
* Simon Webbe and Kristina Rihanoff: American Smooth to ‘Heartache Tonight’ by Michael Buble.
* Frankie Bridge and Kevin Clifton: Salsa to the Freemasons’ Remix of ‘Work’ by Kelly Rowland.
* Mark Wright and Karen Hauer: Foxtrot to ‘L-O-V-E’ by Nat King Cole.
* The Strictly Come Dancing Results Show starts at 7.20pm on Sunday.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.