Elstree Studios renew partnership with BBC Studioworks
PUBLISHED: 17:43 01 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:43 01 March 2017
Leading BBC programmes such as Strictly Come Dancing and Pointless will continue to be made at Elstree Studios.
The Hertsmere Borough Council-owned studios has renewed its successful partnership with BBC Studioworks for another three years.
The agreement sees Elstree providing stages converted for television, and BBC Studioworks providing state-of-the-art TV studio technical facilities.
The partnership was formed three years ago to provide Elstree Studios with television facilities, and BBC Studioworks with space to house BBC Productions while TV Centre was being rebuilt.
Roger Morris, managing director of Elstree Studios, said: “The continued partnership is a testament to our belief in the need for first-class TV studio facilities in London.
“Working together, we produce a wide range of television shows at the world-famous Elstree Studios, drawing upon the state-of-the-art, professional television technical production facilities and expertise that Studioworks are renowned for makes us market leaders.’
The BBC commercial subsidiary hires Stage 8, Stage 9 and a George Lucas Stage at the Shenley Road site in Borehamwood.
All have been converted for TV studio use, with production galleries, dressing rooms, makeup, wardrobe and audience facilities.
The George Lucas Stage converted under this unique partnership is the largest purpose-built TV stage in the UK, and has already hosted many of the top UK entertainment shows, including Strictly Come Dancing, The Voice, A League of Their Own, Let it Shine and soon in 2017 Britain’s Got Talent.
Stages 8 and 9, again fully equipped with production galleries, TV floors, TV lighting, dressing rooms, makeup, wardrobe, air conditioning and audience facilities, have successfully been used for top TV shows such as The Chase, Pointless and Celebrity Juice.
New electrical power installations include backup generators for all the TV stages and Fibre Broadcast Connectivity making them ideal for live shows.
The BBC Studioworks TV facilities at Elstree Studios are further enhanced by the close proximity to BBC Elstree, which houses BBC Elstree Studio D.
The opening of the new BBC TV Centre will make BBC Studioworks the UK’s largest provider of TV studio facilities.
About Elstree Studios
• Elstree Studios is regarded as the number one film and television studio in London and the East of England.
• Major television shows produced at the Hertsmere Borough Council owned studios include Big Brother for Channel 5 and Strictly Come Dancing for BBC.
• Feature films shot at Elstree in Borehamwood include as The Danish Girl starring Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander, Paddington starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Bonneville, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows starring Jude Law and Robert Downey Jnr, The World’s End featuring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, World War Z starring Brad Pitt, and the multi-award-winning The King’s Speech starring Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter.
• Internationally famous acts such as Robbie Williams, Kylie, Rihanna, Coldplay, Take That and One Direction have used the huge George Lucas Stage for tour rehearsals.
• For more information, visit www.elstreestudios.co.uk
David Conway, managing director of BBC Studioworks, said: “We are pleased to confirm our commitment to the London studios market and our valued clients with the growth of our footprint across Television Centre and Elstree.
“Our trusted partnership with Elstree Studios has allowed us to deliver many memorable productions for our customers and we look forward to continuing this successful relationship.”
About BBC Studioworks facilities at Elstree
• BBC Elstree Studio D – 11,200 sq ft studio, including audience seating and bespoke lighting rig to support large live event shows such as Children in Need.
It is also home to prime time entertainment shows like Channel 5’s Lip Sync Battle UK, BBC One’s Not Going Out, Dara O Briain’s Go 8 Bit for Dave, and new ITV format Little Big Shots.
Stage 8 and Stage 9 at Elstree Studios – two studios, with purpose built HD production galleries, professional TV studio floors and enhanced lighting provision.
They have hosted a wide range of entertainment shows over the last year including BBC One’s Pointless, ITV’s The Chase and Celebrity Juice, E4’s Virtually Famous and Sony Left Bank’s The Crown.
• Production galleries alongside George Lucas Stage 1 and 2 at Elstree Studios – located on the ground floor with direct access onto the 15,825 sq ft stages. Fully equipped with HD technology and high-speed connectivity. The new home of the Britain’s Got Talent live finals in spring 2017, large-scale entertainment shows like BBC’s Let it Shine, Sky’s A League of Their Own and BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing. The George Lucas Stages are the UK’s largest TV studios.
• Improved facilities for production teams and talent – including dressing rooms, green rooms and production office space, audience, catering and parking.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.