The Corrs talk about their forthcoming Newmarket Nights concert
PUBLISHED: 15:50 05 June 2016 | UPDATED: 17:05 05 June 2016
The Corrs will kick off this year's Newmarket Nights concerts at Newmarket Racecourses later this month.
The Irish siblings – Andrea, Sharon, Caroline and Jim – will play Newmarket on Friday, June 17.
The Welwyn Hatfield Times caught up with the Breathless quartet ahead of the concert.
* You released your album ‘White Light’ last year to great success. Were you surprised to have such a positive reaction from your fans after being away for 10 years?
We were aware that we had been missed and we poured our hearts and souls into making this new record. But as always there are no guarantees. You just have to do your best work. We were thrilled with the reaction! The tour was amazing, so much love in the audience and the reviews and reaction from the records were amazing.
* Your first gig after 10 years was an outdoor show at Hyde Park – do you enjoy outdoor gigs? How do these compare to indoor arena shows?
All gigs are amazing – performing is the greatest feeling in the world. Hyde Park was so special, 60,000 people singing along to Runaway was the most incredible feeling. I know we all started to well up at that point, so much love from the audience.
* You also undertook a massive arena tour for the record. What’s the crowd reaction been like this time around? Are you seeing a lot of familiar faces or new fans that have discovered your music recently?
Both, which is great. We seem to have held on to our fans and made some new. The crowd reaction has been amazing. I think as a band we’ve matured a lot and I think the crowd can really feel how much we love what we are doing and that’s infectious. There truly is nothing like making music and performing it to an enthusiastic crowd.
* Does it feel exciting to be back playing together again? What have you missed the most about being on the road?
We laugh so much! As soon as we get together we just enjoy every moment and savour it. Making music together is very special and we missed that. Love being on the road – it’s like this bubble of creativity and you get to live outside the routine, which I adore.
“We love open-air summer shows, so are really looking forward to playing Newmarket Nights on June 17 after the races.”
* You’re coming to play Newmarket Racecourse this summer. Why do you think pop artist like playing racecourses?
Great crowds. They are already having a wonderful time by the time you get there and they love a good gig.
* Are you planning anything special for the summer outdoor shows? What can fans expect when they come to see you?
They will hear all our hits and songs from ‘White Light’ too. We’ll also break it down to a small acoustic section, which make its very organic and is a special moment every night.
* Have you visited Suffolk before? Do you have any particular memories or anecdotes?
Yes, the countryside is very beautiful. Gorgeous little perfectly preserved towns and delicious gastro pubs with local produce.
THE CORRS PLAY NEWMARKET RACECOURSE ON FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 2016.