Standon Calling 2011 festival will still deliver, say organisers
PUBLISHED: 21:33 22 February 2011
ORGANISERS of Standon Calling 2011 have confirmed the Herts music festival will still take place this summer – despite founder Alex Trenchard being jailed.
An announcement on the festival’s website said it will definitely go ahead as planned over the weekend of August 11-14 in the Hertfordshire countryside at Standon Lordship, near Ware.
Festival creator Trenchard, who worked for Tesco as a PR man, was handed a 30-month custodial sentence earlier this month after pleading guilty to theft and fraud by false representation.
He swindled £355,000 on his company credit card to help fund Standon Calling.
All money taken has since been repaid to his former employer, Tesco, by Trenchard’s parents.
“I know that Alex very much regrets his actions and feels great remorse for the distress he has caused,” said Graham MacVoy, festival director for Standon Calling 2011.
“But the festival is about more than just one person.
“The team have been preparing for this year’s festival and Alex’s absence for a number of months.
“Standon Calling 2010 was a resounding success and we are building on that.”
Although no bands have been officially announced yet, tickets for the event are selling well. MacVoy said: “Our early bird tickets for 2011 sold out in half the time they did last year.”
A statement on the festival website added: “Standon Calling would simply not exist without Alex’s vision, commitment and tireless energy and the Standon Calling team would like to thank all the festival’s supporters and those of you who’ve taken the time to send messages of support to the festival and Alex and his family.
“Now, we just want to ensure Standon Calling 2011 is our best event yet.”
This year’s festival theme will be ‘Gods and Monsters’.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.