Hertford Food & Drink Festival returns to county town this weekend
Foodies will be in seventh heaven this weekend as the fifth annual Hertford Food & Drink Festival takes place in the county town.
Hertford Town Council is hosting its annual food and drink festival throughout the county town from Friday, October 7 to Sunday, October 9.
The event kicks off at 4pm on Friday with the Hertford Street Food Market in Salisbury Square, and closes with the Hertford Castle Beer and World Food Festival on Sunday from noon to 6pm.
More local traders and businesses getting involved with the festival each year.
Councillor Jane Sartin, Hertford Town Council’s development and leisure committee chairman, said: “The Hertford Food and Drink Festival is growing each year, and is a fantastic showcase for the town’s many food and drink businesses.
“From gin tasting to tea tasting, Apple Day events to cookery demonstrations, this is definitely an event with something for everyone.
“It will be rounded off perfectly by the Beer and World Food Festival at Hertford Castle.”
On Saturday, SPJ Events Specialist will be hosting the Clover Kitchen stage in Parliament Square.
Visitors will be able to watch the following cookery demonstrations:
• 11.45am – 12.15pm: Bentley House head chef Tony Henderson cooks Italian dishes.
• 12.25pm – 1.05pm: Cynthia Stroud of Pretty Gorgeous Cake Company demonstrates the art of cake decorating.
• 1.15pm – 1.55pm: Lee Maycock, national chairman of Craft Guild of Chefs, demonstrates using local produce from the Mudlarks Allotment.
• 2.05pm – 2.45pm: Emma, from Cookery Eatery, making healthy eating fun for kids.
• 2.55pm – 3.35pm: Hayden Groves, winner National Chef of Year 2013, cooks up a storm.
• 3.45pm – 4.15pm: Tina Richardson, of Humble Herbs, Stanstead Abbotts, makes Rosemary Chocolate Bakes.
• 4.25pm – 5pm: Students from Hertford Regional College demonstrate cookery skills.
Hayden Groves will be commentator for the Saturday afternoon food demos.
In addition, McMullen’s will be hosting a weekend’s worth of events at the Old Cross brewery, from tours to the very popular pop-up restaurant.
Daniella Robbins, marketing manager of McMullen Brewery, said: ”Hertford’s Food & Drink Festival has established itself as the key foodie event in the county town of Hertfordshire.
“McMullen’s are delighted to be one of the headline sponsors for a third year running, reflecting our ongoing commitment to supporting local organisations and grass roots initiatives that benefit the community.”
A number of special deals and other culinary delights, such as oyster tasting at Loch Fyne, a guided food walk and food science demonstrations, will also be available for the duration of the festival.
• Visit http://www.hertford.gov.uk/events/ for the full programme of events, programme subject to change.