We have campaigned against an incinerator for ages
PUBLISHED: 11:02 18 May 2009 | UPDATED: 22:10 26 October 2009
SIR - I read with amazement the comments from the Conservative county councillor Stuart Pile in last week s Welwyn & Hatfield Times. Can he really believe his own words, that the Lib Dems have only recently said anything about the Conservative plans for
SIR - I read with amazement the comments from the Conservative county councillor Stuart Pile in last week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.
Can he really believe his own words, that the Lib Dems have only recently said anything about the Conservative plans for an incinerator at New Barnfield?
I was the candidate for the Lib Dems in the by-election in Welham Green in January 2008. A keystone of my campaign then was this very issue.
The earliest press release we did was in November 2007 as I recall, which the Hatfield south councillor responded to by declaring he might have to vote for the incinerator.
I've kept abreast of developments on this story and I know my successor, Simon Archer, along with Lib Dem prospective MP Paul Zukowskyj, have been continuously campaigning about this issue ever since.
I fail to see how a campaign that has been running for over 18 months can in any way be considered 'sudden'.
I would suggest that in future, the Conservative county councillor checks the website of your esteemed publication, where a great number of past articles and discussions on the issue can be found. Over seven pages, with multiple articles on each page, dating back to the start of 2008.
Residents of the area have a choice on June 4, either re-elect a Conservative county councillor and give the green light to the leadership to build this incinerator, or elect Simon Archer and be assured of some genuine and real opposition to this barmy plan.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.