Christmas comes early in Welwyn Garden City thanks to the Thalians
- Credit: Welwyn Thalians
It will be A Christmas Night to Remember in Welwyn Garden City this December.
For that's the name of Welwyn Thalians' upcoming seasonal production – their first since the pandemic.
After 18 months of Covid-induced silence, Welwyn Thalians Musical and Dramatic Society members are tuning up for their welcome back show, A Christmas Night to Remember, which opens on December 3 at the Thalian Hall.
Musical director Peter Farrell said: "We've missed our audiences and we’re very excited to be welcoming them back to celebrate Christmas, being together again and sharing fish and chips!"
With a 25-strong cast, and featuring well-known performers including Tammy Wall and Amanda Sayers, the evening will be filled with songs from West End shows – Six, Chicago and A Slice of Saturday Night, to name but a few – along with dance, sketches and comedy, as well as traditional Christmas favourites.
The Welwyn Thalians were formed in 1929, from a merger with two other amateur societies, with the Old Welwyn Theatre in Parkway, later the Embassy Cinema, as their first venue.
Most of the early shows were Gilbert and Sullivan productions but it wasn’t long before ‘musical’ shows and ‘straight’ plays poured out in succession, while the reputation of the Thalians grew.
- 1 Hunt for stolen labrador puppy from Welwyn Garden City
- 2 LIVE: Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield A-level results 2022
- 3 Disney's Encanto, The Greatest Showman and Spider-Man movie set for free outdoor cinema in Welwyn Garden City town centre
- 4 Food supplements worth £100s stolen from Holland and Barrett shop
- 5 Overgrown country lane 'is danger' to users, says mother
- 6 Campaigners hit out at Spectator’s ‘the folly of garden cities’ piece
- 7 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 8 Rave reviews for Classic Ibiza concert ahead of Hatfield House return
- 9 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 10 Enjoy the battle for the best firework display at Hatfield House
They have been entertaining the people of its host city, and beyond, for over 90 years, with memorable sell-out productions such as Carousel, Fiddler on the Roof, and Made in Dagenham.
Chairman Vincent Clemmens is delighted to continue the Thalian tradition with A Christmas Night to Remember.
He said: "Our society can’t wait to be back on the stage again and entertaining audiences with uplifting, joyful performances!"
A Christmas Night to Remember runs at the Thalian Hall, 64 Bridge Road East, Welwyn Garden City, on Friday, December 3, the following night, Saturday, December 4, and then again on Friday, December 10 and Saturday, December 11.
Doors open at 7pm for curtain up at 7.30pm.
Tickets cost £15 (plus booking fee) with the price including a fish and chip supper. Tickets are available from www.welwynthalians.com