Tragic masterpiece coming to Welwyn Garden City cinema screen live from Royal Opera House
- Credit: Archant
The Royal Opera presents Verdi’s tragic masterpiece Il Trovatore live in cinemas across the country, including the Garden City Cinema in Welwyn Garden City.
The Event Cinema screening will take place on Tuesday, January 31 at 7.15pm, live from The Royal Opera House in London.
Il trovatore is one of the great operas of the Romantic period, a story of passion and blood, disaster and murder.
The harrowing tale of love, revenge and war is full of spine-tingling arias and powerful chorus numbers, including the world famous ‘Anvil Chorus’.
It tells the tale of star-crossed lovers Manrico and Leonora, who are intertwined with the fate of the Manrico’s mother, the gypsy Azucena, who is seeking vengeance for the murder of her own mother by the di Luna family.
You may also want to watch:
This will be the first revival of German director David Bösch’s production, which received critical acclaim for its debut in June 2016, starring both Armenian soprano Lianna Haroutounian as Leonora, American tenor Gregory Kunde as Manrico from the original production, and Ukrainian baritone Vitaliy Bilyy as Count di Luna.
Audiences are invited to experience this powerful opera with its story of love, feuding families and a gypsy curse, all set to Verdi’s soaring score.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
The opera’s themes of jealousy, revenge and love play out against a hauntingly beautiful, wintry landscape that has been riven by war.
The opera is sung in Italian with English subtitles.
It can be seen in Screen 3 of the Garden City Cinema in The Campus, WGC.
Tickets cost £19.75 and opera-lovers can claim 15 per cent off with a Zebra Discount Card, paying £16.79.
To book tickets, visit the Garden City Cinema website at www.gardencitycinema.co.uk
• Please note that there are no adverts or trailers in the Event Cinema screenings at the CW Entertainment venue in WGC and doors open 15 minutes before the advertised start time.
• For more information on the ROH Live Cinema season, visit www.roh.org.uk/cinema