The Rolling Stones set to play Knebworth again?
- Credit: Archant
The Rolling Stones are rumoured to be lining up a massive summer concert at Knebworth House, according to a national newspaper report.
Today’s The Sun on Sunday claims the legendary rockers are considering returning to Knebworth in August – 39 years after first appearing at the Hertfordshire stately home.
The Stones played the huge outdoor venue in August 1976, with frontman Mick Jagger famously leaving his red underpants in one of the house’s bedrooms afterwards.
Lynyrd Skynyrd were also on the bill of the 1976 Knebworth Fair.
Since then the likes of Led Zeppelin, Queen and Robbie Williams have all played iconic gigs in Knebworth Park.
Next year sees the 20th anniversary of Oasis’ two mega open-air concerts at Knebworth.
In recent years the rock venue has been the UK home of international touring festival Sonisphere, with the likes of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Linkin Park, Rammstein, Slipknot and Biffy Clyro headlining.
- 1 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 2 Plans to build 80 new flats in Hatfield approved
- 3 New Welwyn Garden City cycling improvements to be simulated
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 6 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 7 Martin Freeman talks about playing a copper in BBC crime drama The Responder
- 8 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
There is no Sonisphere planned for Knebworth this summer though.
The unconfirmed report in today’s Sun suggests Saturday, August 15 as a possible date for the Stones concert.
However, Knebworth Park is already staging the Knebworth Country Show over that weekend, and there is summer jousting in front of the gothic mansion planned for Sunday, August 9.
The Stones – Jagger, guitarist Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and drummer Charlie Watts – are currently crossing North America on their 15-city ZIP Code stadium tour, which finishes in Quebec on July 15.
They played Ohio Stadium in Columbus on Saturday night.
The group opened with Jumpin’ Jack Flash and the hit-laden set also included classics such as It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It), Let’s Spend The Night Together, Tumbling Dice, Wild Horses, Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Woman, Midnight Rambler and Miss You.
The main set ended in explosive fashion with Gimme Shelter, Start Me, Sympathy For The Devil and Brown Sugar.
The Stones finished with an encore of You Can’t Always Get What You Want and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.
Will Stones fans in the UK get some Satisfaction at Knebworth this summer?
Martha Lytton Cobbold, managing director of Lytton Enterprises Ltd / Knebworth Estates, said: “While we would be delighted to host the Rolling Stones at Knebworth again, it is just a wonderful suggestion at the moment.
“We do not have any information on a proposed concert for the Rolling Stones.”