Sonisphere Festival organisers win European award
ORGANISERS of the Sonisphere rock event at Knebworth Park have won an international industry award.
The team behind Sonisphere bagged one of the most prestigious accolades at the 2010 Festival Awards Europe in Holland.
An international jury of senior music industry experts awarded festival bosses the European Promoter Of The Year gong.
In less than two years, the world’s largest international touring festival has gone from being an idea kicked around by Kilimanjaro Live supremo Stuart Galbraith and K2’s John Jackson to selling its one millionth ticket.
That ticket was sold during the UK leg of Sonisphere at Knebworth last summer when veteran shock-rocker Alice Cooper, German industrial metallers Rammstein and British heavy metal titans Iron Maiden headlined the three-day bash in the Lytton Cobbold family’s back garden.
You may also want to watch:
The award was presented to Kilimanjaro Live CEO Stuart Galbraith at a ceremony which took place at the Stadsschouwburg in Groningen, Holland.
On receiving the prize, Stuart thanked all of Sonisphere’s fans and international partners, adding: “After only having run our event for two years, to be honoured by our industry and voted for by other festival organisers is fantastic.
- 1 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 2 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 9 Hatfield Battle Proms concert is still going ahead as planned this summer
- 10 Hatfield's Folk by the Oak festival still going ahead this summer
“Thank you to everyone that voted and we look forward to seeing you all again next year.”
Iowa metal icons Slipknot, Scottish rockers Biffy Clyro and thrash metal’s Big 4 – Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax – will top the bill at this year’s rock and metal extravaganza being staged in the grounds of the Hertfordshire stately home from July 8-10.
This week Mot�rhead, In Flames, Mastodon and Parkway Drive were also confirmed for Sonisphere 2011 at Knebworth.
* For ticket details, click on the Sonisphere Festival link above right.