Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- Credit: LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX
Wealthy widow Lady Danbury runs ‘The Ton’ – the Regency social world in new Netflix series Bridgerton.
Partly filmed on location at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, the series arrives on the streaming service on December 25.
Playing Lady Danbury is Adjoa Andoh, who loves the adaptation of Julia Quinn’s best-selling Regency romances.
READ MORE: Netflix series Bridgerton filmed in Hatfield
“My reaction to the scripts was ‘hooray’ and ‘about time’. I think that’s particular for actors of colour because we’ve been in the history of this country since before Roman times, in all strata of society.
“Queen Charlotte, as some people know and some people may not know, was the descendent of Afonso III of Portugal and his African mistress, so she was mixed race. It’s very nice to see some of that history woven in.
“The scripts were smart, funny and engaging. They demand your attention. They don’t patronise the audience, they have really strong narrative throughlines and they talk about all classes.
“The series focuses on the Bridgerton family, so we’re exploring the upper class of Regency England in particular, but you get little sniffs into other worlds as well. It’s exciting and intriguing and not your standard costume drama at all.”
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 3 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 4 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 5 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 6 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 7 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 8 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 9 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 10 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
Lady Danbury, widowed and moneyed, is good friends with Queen Charlotte. She is also a kind of godmother to Simon Basset, played by Regé-Jean Page.
“I love Regé. We both have an African parent and an English parent, and he calls me Aunty quite a lot,” says Adjoa Andoh.
READ MORE: Regé-Jean Page on Bridgerton role
“That is an honorific that most African children will give to the old baggage who is laying down the law.
“In this case, that’s me! There’s a lot of love there and we both understand the dynamic between Simon and Lady Danbury.
“I think that in terms of women in this show, Lady Danbury is in the most fabulous position. She is not the Queen so she doesn’t have to deal with the Royal duties, nor does she have to deal with a poorly husband.
“She’s a widow, she’s rolling in cash and she’s a social leader."
As for what audiences can expect from Bridgerton, Adjoa adds: “The show is serious and moving, but it’s also enormous fun.
“It’s based in a period that people think they know but they’re going to see it reframed in a slightly different way.
“You can be watching this in the Philippines, or South Africa, in Philadelphia, Bangkok, or Delhi, and there will be something in it that will appeal to you.
“The casting is bold, sassy, and it’s a fabulous showcase for all of these fabulous people.”
- Bridgerton can be seen on Netflix from Christmas Day, December 25.