In the good books! Team member at Knebworth care home featured in national lockdown memoir
- Credit: Care UK Knebworth
A team member from Knebworth care home has been featured alongside a host of famous contributors in a pandemic memoir.
Introduced by newsreader, presenter, and Barnardo’s president Natasha Kaplinsky, Letters From Lockdown features more than 100 letters from celebrity names, COVID heroes, and a diverse range of members of the public, all answering the question – ‘What was lockdown like for you?’
Inspired by children’s curiosity as to how different people experienced lockdown, the book features reflections from the likes of Dame Helen Mirren, Tim Peake, Joe Wicks, Ed Sheeran, Bear Grylls and Mary Berry, to name a few, as well as Colette Moreira-Henocq, residential care manager at Care UK’s Knebworth, in London Road, Woolmer Green.
Colette was invited to reflect on her experiences of lockdown following the success of her poem ‘Tribute to My Residents’, which took first place in the national ‘Poems in a Pandemic’ competition last year.
Colette said: “I was delighted to be invited to contribute to Letters from Lockdown, and to be featured alongside the likes of Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall and Sir Paul McCartney feels surreal.
“The last year has been challenging for everyone, not least for those working in the care sector.
"I’ve found writing a great way to express my emotions, and although understandably difficult to re-live such difficult times while writing the letter, it was therapeutic to share my experience of lockdown."
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 7 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 10 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
Colette added: “Writing has given me an opportunity to reflect on the incredible people around me – my family, friends, colleagues and residents, as well as the local community, who have shown such kindness over the last year.
"I hope my letter inspires people to continue the new caring and appreciative normal we have created.”
Vera Moreira-Henocq, home manager at Knebworth, said: “We are so proud of Colette for sharing her touching account of the past year. She and the team have worked tirelessly through a challenging period, and I’m sure many will relate to her feelings and reflections of the last year.
“Residents and team members are enjoying having a famous author in their midst!”
Knebworth delivers a full range of residential care for older people, including short-term respite care, nursing care and specialist care for people living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
For more information about Care UK, visit careuk.com