Classic cars on display at aviation museum’s summer motor show
- Credit: IWM
Classic cars and magnificent motors will take centre stage at a world renowned aviation museum this August Bank Holiday.
Gear up for the 2018 IWM Duxford Summer Car Show this August Bank Holiday Sunday, August 26.
An array of vintage and contemporary cars will be lining up at the historic Cambridgeshire airfield.
The car show will feature an impressive display of vehicles presented by car clubs – including Jaguar, Ferrari and Mini Cooper owners’ clubs – and individual owners.
In addition to the car show, Duxford Aviation Society is hosting tank rides, while Classic Wings is offering unique flying experiences where participants can book to fly in a range of historic aircraft, including a two-seater Spitfire.
You may also want to watch:
As part of a trip to IWM Duxford this summer, visitors can walk through the same hangars and buildings as those who served at this former RAF air base during the First World War, Second World War and the Cold War, and may see aircraft take to the skies from the historic airfield.
Hundreds of aircraft and objects are on display, with iconic aircraft ranging from a Lancaster bomber to an SR-71 Blackbird spy plane.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 7 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
Besides aircraft, IWM Duxford also houses military vehicles, with tanks and even General Montgomery’s wartime caravans used during Operation ‘Overlord’ on display in the Land Warfare exhibition.
A new addition to the collection on display this year is the Tornado GR4, a combat jet deployed by the RAF in Afghanistan and most recently in counter-ISIS operations in the Middle East.
Visitors can get up close to the Tornado, an aircraft that is still being deployed in RAF operations, and is a true piece of living history.
Entry to the Summer Car Show display is included with the admission price to IWM Duxford, offering families a thrilling way to enjoy their Bank Holiday Sunday. Additional costs apply for tank rides and Classic Wings pleasure flights.
IWM Duxford is Britain’s best preserved Second World War airfield.
The museum’s summer hours until mid-October are from 10am to 6pm.
Admission costs £17.25 adults, £13.80 concessions (senior, student, disabled adult), and £8.60 child (5-16). It is free for youngsters under five.
A 10 per cent discount is available for advanced tickets booked online.
• Visit iwm.org.uk to book advance tickets.