Beatles tribute to celebrate 50th anniversary of Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Credit: Archant
It was 50 years ago that The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and tribute band The Bootleg Beatles will be celebrating the album’s anniversary at a concert coming to The Alban Arena in St Albans.
They opened for Oasis on the first day of the group’s era-defining concerts at Knebworth House 21 years ago and also supported the Britpop legends at Earls Court.
Formed in 1980, The Bootleg Beatles are still going strong today, entertaining fans of John, Paul, George and Ringo with their quality covers of the Fab Four’s greatest hits.
And the look-alike members of the tribute band to the Liverpudlian quartet are returning to St Albans in the spring for another concert show.
The Beatles doppelgängers will play The Alban Arena on Thursday, March 30 as part of their 17-date UK tour to mark the 50th anniversary of the release of the milestone album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
You may also want to watch:
The most successful Beatles tribute band ever, the Fab Four of the Bootleg variety, along with their renowned string and brass ensemble, will play tracks from the seminal 1967 album by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.
Sgt. Pepper is widely acknowledged as the record that redrew the map of popular music and proved that The Beatles were not only incredible songwriters but also true innovators in the studio.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 3 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 4 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 10 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'
Produced by George Martin, who lived in Hatfield, the album includes With a Little Help from My Friends, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, She’s Leaving Home, When I’m Sixty-Four, Lovely Rita, A Day in the Life and, of course, the title track.
Incredibly, 1967 was also the year that The Beatles released the beloved Strawberry Fields / Penny Lane double A-sided single, as well as the Magical Mystery Tour EP, including I Am the Walrus.
Songs from those releases will feature heavily in The Bootleg Beatles’ set in St Albans.
Tickets for The Alban Arena concert on Thursday, March 30 at 7.30pm cost £29.50 and there is already limited availability.
• To buy tickets for the show, call the Arena box office on 01727 844488 or book online at www.alban-arena.co.uk
• For more on The Bootleg Beatles, visit the band’s website at www.bootlegbeatles.com