Whybrow and Clarke on target as bolstered Potters Bar bash Cambridge South

PUBLISHED: 08:26 05 December 2017 | UPDATED: 10:03 05 December 2017

Tom Clarke bagged the second in Potters Bar's 2-0 win over Cambridge South. Picture: DANNY LOO

Tom Clarke bagged the second in Potters Bar's 2-0 win over Cambridge South. Picture: DANNY LOO

Danny Loo Photography 2017

A bolstered Potters Bar's venture north to face Cambridge South proved fruitful as they returned to Hertfordshire with a 2-0 win in East League Division Two South.

With several players back for selection, goals from Ed Whybrow and Tom Clarke defeated a side who were just one point below in the league and on a four-match unbeaten spree

While the temperatures may have been low, Bar’s start was anything but.

Early pressure high up the pitch led to a couple of chances and considerable possession around the Cambridge D.

Play unfortunately broke down at critical moments however, preventing Bar from getting on the scoresheet.

But these were just momentary setbacks and with Bar dominating the rest of the first half it was no surprise when they took the lead.

A mazy Whybrow run was halted illicitly, resulting in a short corner from which Graham Abrey’s drag found the open stick of a charging Whybrow.

‘More of the same’ was the cry from the coach at half-time although a high amount of energy from both teams did not translate into the crispest of second-half displays.

The best chance came when Ajay Patel squared the ball inside the D to Simon Tenwick, but he could only make contact with thin air as he tried to slide in Mark Turpin.

With frustrations began to show, Turpin was sin binned for an appeal to the umpires.

But this did not deter Potters who kept pressing and gave themselves some breathing space late on with the second goal.

The Cambridge goalie, in attempting to clear the ball quickly, could only pick out Abrey on the edge of the D.

He found Clarke who pulled the ball onto his reverse stick and dispatched it into the bottom corner.

The visitors almost increased their lead from a short corner when Miles Tomkins, taking a touch and then shooting with an upright reverse stick effort behind his back, put the ball just past the post.

Man of the match went to Josh Edge who played every position at the back, putting in some crucial challenges and looking accomplished on the ball.

Bar will look to close out the pre-Christmas portion of the season against Letchworth with a victory to keep up the pressure on the league leaders.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times