WGC Ladies rise from the flames to earn draw with Phoenix

PUBLISHED: 08:48 04 February 2011 | UPDATED: 08:51 04 February 2011

Get in: WGC go for goal against Phoenix on Saturday afternoon

Get in: WGC go for goal against Phoenix on Saturday afternoon


AFTER a disappointing defeat last weekend, WGC’s ladies bounced back with a 2-2 draw against Phoenix on Saturday.

With some slight changes in the team’s line-up, WGC started well with some strong attacking play.

The home team were dominating the forward line with some brilliant runs being made by both Helen Seabourne and Lauren Allan.

There were attacks being made by all players on the pitch with some beautiful passes being picked out and some superb runs made by Becky Llewellyn and Jane Kinghorn.

But a quick break saw WGC go one down. This scoreline didn’t last long as Welwyn earnt a short corner shortly after.

A cleanly struck ball at the edge of the circle by Grace Mizon allowed Claire Burgess to tap the ball into the back of the goal.

Welwyn came out fighting harder than ever after the break with a fast pace of play.

It was tough in defence, but Gemma Hale worked well with Lisa Sheffield and Marie Davis to mark their players well and clear the ball out.

Erica Stovold was back in goal and made some strong saves to keep Welwyn firmly in the game.

A quick break from the away team allowed the girls to be caught on the back foot resulting in a short corner being awarded to the oppostion.

The corner was converted and the scoreline 2-1, Welwyn would have to fight back to get a result.

The flow of the game quickly changed and it went the home team’s way.

Smooth passing between Becky Llewellyn and Grace Mizon brought the ball down the pitch and to Claire Burgess on the edge of the D.

Her cross forced the keeper to make a save but Anna Geaves quickly reacted to score from the rebound.

After earning several short corners earlier in the match the girls changed their short corner routine and passed the ball out to Mizon on the top of the circle.

Her strike was hit cleanly and was placed to the left post where Claire Burgess narrowly missed the target.

Two further short corners saw Welwyn unfortunate again, one attempt hitting the post whilst the other struck just wide by earlier goalscorer Anna Geaves.

The game ended as a draw with the Welwyn girls feeling they could have taken full points, it was a good effort by everyone on the pitch but again chances to convert smooth play into goals were missed.

WGC, 10th in the table, play away against Hertford on Saturday, who are positioned one point below them in the league, so they are crossing everything that the potential six-pointer game goes their way.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times