Welwyn Garden City legend Joe Croft shines in pre-season friendly with Royston Town
- Credit: NEIL METCALFE
Joe Croft reminded Welwyn Garden City fans of his ability after a surprise inclusion in Nick Ironton's squad for a pre-season friendly with Royston Town.
The Cat as he is affectionately known by Citizens fans, has returned to the club in a coaching capacity but was pressed into action in the 1-1 draw at Herns Lane.
And he impressed with a string of fine saves.
Manager Ironton said: "He’s an absolutely top lad and when I heard he had left London Tigers I rang him straight away.
"We’ve gave him an opportunity to help coach the U23s and first-team squad but sometimes you need a number two goalkeeper.
"Charlie Crowley is my number one and we have Bully [Aaron Bull] in the U23s but Joe came in and did magnificent.
"It’s his first game in two years and as a back-up I couldn’t ask for anything better."
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
Youngster Harrison Cage had put Welwyn ahead from the penalty spot before Jonny Edwards equalised for the Crows in what was an entertaining encounter.
Ironton said: "I’m grateful for Steve [Castle] for bringing his side over and it was good exercise for both of us.
"I had a lot of new players to look at and give minutes to and there was some good football played."