First full game in over year ends in victory for Welwyn Rugby Club's women
- Credit: WELWYN RFC
Welwyn's women played their first full game of rugby in over a year and marked it with a win at Biggleswade.
They had finished runners-up in their league in the last full season before the pandemic, the 2019-2020 edition, but since then their momentum has been curtailed, with only three adapted-fixtures earlier in the year.
But they were motivated on the journey north and ended up returning with a superb 46-26 success.
It didn't start brilliantly, Loz Poole scoring two tries for the hosts, but eventually Welwyn's defence helped tilt the balance in their favour.
Ollie Nightingale and Lauren Kerry scored tries but they still trailed 19-10 at half-time.
An injury to the Biggleswade hooker in the second half didn't help the home side but after the long stoppage, Welwyn found their rhythm.
Catherine Cirkel and Hannah Lloyd both scored with Sophie Bates adding a brace, one a superb solo chip and chase into the corner.
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 3 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 Great family entertainment in Christmas production of Goodnight Mr Tom at the Barn Theatre in Welwyn Garden City
- 8 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 9 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Local Plan guidelines clarified following ‘green fields’ confusion
Poole got her third for the hosts with 10 minutes to go but Nightingale's second rounded of the tries and three successful conversions from skipper Emma Waddup gave Welwyn the win.