Welwyn Hatfield Sports Awards 2016 celebrated
- Credit: Archant
Sports from wheelchair rugby to fencing, boxing, football and equestrian were all recognised at the Welwyn Hatfield Sports Awards 2016.
The ceremony took place this evening (Tuesday) at the Hawthorne Theatre in Welwyn Garden City.
A total of 16 sports awards were collected (see the winners below) before Olympic and Paralympic value awards were also given out to honour such values as friendship, respect and determination.
Apprenticeship Awards were handed to nine teenagers working with schools in the borough, while performances from dance group Funkyrds and singer Roxy Searle entertained the audience.
GB wheelchair rugby captain Chris Ryan, from Panshanger was a special guest and spoke about his hopes of a medal at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games later in the year.
You may also want to watch:
He also collected the Sports Person of the Year gong.
The Welwyn Hatfield Sports Award 2016 winners were:
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Secondary School Teacher of the Year: Stuart Williams of the Welwyn Hatfield Primary Schools’ Partnership
Primary School Teacher of the Year: Jess Tucker Welwyn St Mary’s Primary School
Primary School Team of the Year: Brookmans Park School girls’ football team
Secondary School Team of the Year: The Monk’s Walk School equestrian squad
Primary School Pupil of the Year: Rachel Dew of Welwyn St Mary’s School
Secondary School Pupil of the Year: Paulina Trzcinska of Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School
Contribution to Disability Sport: Platypus Swimming Club
Volunteer of the Year (U21): Gareth Edge of Sir Frederic Osborn School
Volunteer of the Year (over 21): The Welwyn Garden City FC volunteers
Coach of the Year: Adam Fisher of Welwyn Garden City FC
Team of the Year: Hell’s Belles Roller Girls
Service to Sport: Bernard Thomas of Herts Phoenix Athletic Club
Young Participant of the Year (U16): Gabby Karouzis of the Paul Davis Fencing Academy/Chancellor’s School
Club of the Year: Garden City Runners
Sports Person of the Year: GB wheelchair rugby captain Chris Ryan
Outstanding Achievement in Sport Award: WBO world middleweight boxing champion Billy Joe Saunders
See next week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times for more from the awards.