Free urban orienteering event coming to Welwyn Garden City as part of centenary celebrations
- Credit: SIMON ERRINGTON
They were one of the few clubs to get one of their planned Welwyn Garden City centenary events running and now Hertfordshire Orienteering Club are offering a prize navigation challenge for all.
The event begins on Monday and will run for a full month until April 29 around the streets of WGC.
Anyone can enter for free, although children must be accompanied, and trophies are up for grabs.
Four courses are available around the town and for each, participants have to visit as many mapped points as they can in 45 minutes. Progress is recorded using a free smartphone app.
Event co-ordinator Hedley Calderbank said: “The newcomer events in Sherrardspark Wood and Mardley Heath at the start of the WGC 100 celebrations were really successful and we are now pleased to offer a different urban challenge to finish the centenary celebrations which through the generous support of the WGC100 team and their sponsors, we can offer as a free event.
"With the huge increase in running and walking seen during lockdown we hope that this will appeal to people of all abilities, as solo entrants or as household groups.”
Find out more at www.herts-orienteering.club/wgc100
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 3 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 4 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 5 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 8 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 9 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12