Welwyn Garden City send Sun Postal packing

WGC player-manager Scott O'Donoghue holds up the ball

WGC player-manager Scott O'Donoghue holds up the ball - Credit: Archant

CITIZENS’ boss Scott O’Donoghue praised his side’s reaction as they stormed to a 6-0 win over Sun Postal Sports last night (Wednesday).

He was delighted with the performance especially after Saturday’s awful second half display at Winslow United, when they folded in a 5-2 defeat that ended a five-game unbeaten run.

“I asked them for a response after an abject second-half showing at Winslow and even though we were a little depleted, lacking players like Mark Draper and Ryan Gordon, we came back magnificently. A clean sheet and some very well worked goals made this one of our best displays,’’ said O’Donoghue.

This midweek win equalled WGC’s best result of the season – the previous 6-0 victory coming at bottom-of-the-table New Bradwell – a couple of months ago.

The Citizens dominated this clash from the first minute until the last and scored in the opening minute in their first attack.

You may also want to watch:

Returned forward Billy Jones fed the ever-eager Keiran Weekes who whipped in a shot that Sun keeper Craig McCreeth parried but couldn’t hold and when it came out to Isaac Oppong, he drove it back into the far corner for a great start for the Herns Lane side.

WGC continued to dominate the early stages, keeper McCreeth plucking a Paul Taylor cross off Weekes’ head and pushing a low effort from the dangerous Weekes around a post.

Most Read

But in 22 minutes, the Citizens doubled their lead.

Again Weekes worked an opening for a shot. Sun skipper Paul Rush blocked the effort, but Jones was quickly onto the rebound to put it away for his first goal since his return from Ryman Leaguers Waltham Abbey.

They proved the only goals of a first half dominated by the home side, who could have had further goals, when Oppong hit a fierce effort just wide and in the moments before half-time, when a poor McCreeth goal-kick went straight to Jones, who ran it back, went around the keeper, but hit the foot of the post with his effort.

Keeper McCreeth did better with saves from Jones and Sandhu Tiberiu in the early stages of the second-half, but a third wasn’t long in coming, Tiberiu slipping through onto a through ball from player-boss O’Donoghue, to go around the keeper and roll it home in 53 minutes.

Ten minutes later Jones had his second of the match, McCreeth again managing to block Weekes’ initial effort, but Jones swivelled cleanly to put away the rebound.

WGC’s fifth on 69 minutes was a sweetly worked effort.

A quick O’Donoghue free-kick played in Nathan Bowden down the left, he crossed hard and low for Ben Awad to come in and bury a well placed low effort.

Player-boss O’Donoghue made a triple change with 15 minutes to go, replacing Weekes, Jones and skipper for the night Jamie Gillett, with Ade Osobu, Derrick Shemlon and Rob Gregory.

Osobu completed the night’s scoring six minutes from time, waltzing through onto an O’Donoghue pass to tip it past hapless keeper McCreeth and into the far corner, to complete a highly satisfactory night’s work.

WGC: Hester, Taylor, Gillett (Shemlon 75), Knight, Bowden, Oppong, Awad, O’Donoghue, Weekes (Osobu 75), Tiberiu, Jones (Gregory 75).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus