Welwyn Garden City’s men return to winning ways

PUBLISHED: 15:52 24 February 2011

WGC men v Royston

WGC men v Royston


WGC’s men were able to field a strong side on Saturday, after a couple of desperate weeks, and secured a muchneeded 3-0 home win over Royston.

WGC men v Royston

Rob Sansom’s side had struggled for availability and therefore struggled for points in recent weeks, but that all changed against fellow strugglers Royston in this vital Division 3SW clash.

But after missing seven key players last week, it took a while for any cohesion to set in and the entire first half was rather scrappy.

The hosts could have taken an early lead but Ben O’Boyle just could not reach an excellent ball that was smashed into a dangerous area.

Mark Skilbeck danced around some opposition sticks before firing in a pass that the captain Sansom deflected into the top corner, only for the keeper to pull off a save.

At the other end James Florence rushed out of his goal to save the team when he found himself one on one with the opposition forward, taking the ball and the player in a great piece of keeping.

Nathan James also cleared a ball off the line to keep the scores level.

In the last few minutes of normal time, up stepped David Searle to smash home a penalty corner to give WGC a slender 1-0 lead.

Realising that WGC were forcing the ball too much they approached the second half with an approach of simpler passing and it paid off as they had the majority of the chances.

Searle took a quick free hit and fired the ball to Sansom, in turn he deflected the ball into the area beyond the keeper and Mike Rayner popped up at the far post to neatly put the ball into the back of the net.

Charles Southey had a run from the half-way line, he rounded the keeper, but saw his shot saved on the line by excellent defending.

Then O’Boyle ran through a number of defenders before cutting the ball back for Sansom, only to see his shot expertly kept out by a flying save.

The move of the match occurred when Sansom went on a run down the left hand side.

His ball across was well picked up by Southey who drew the defence and he slipped it out to Skilbeck on the right.

Skilbeck drove the ball to the far post where a well-timed run from Bryn Evans was rewarded with him tucking the ball away to take a commanding 3-0 lead.

WGC managed to hold on to their clean sheet after another good save by Florence and with Mark Bee and Andy Shore holding the defence firm.

A slip up at the end when Nathan James dribbled the ball in front of goal, and somehow managing to hit his own post was not to prove costly and WGC can gain confidence with moving into mid-table safety.

They travel to high-flying Luton on Saturday in the league.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times