Third time lucky hopes as Welwyn Petit Tour cancelled for second successive year
- Credit: KARYN HADDON
A festival of cycling destined for Welwyn Garden City has been postponed for a second year.
Welwyn Wheelers were among those hoping to put on the Welwyn Petit Tour, a series of town-centre races as a celebration of WGC's 100 years.
The original dates last year were a casualty of the pandemic and although it had been hoped to run the event in July, the threat of a late cancellation still looms over the event.
They are hopeful of better luck in 2022 though.
Speaking on Twitter, the cycling club said: "Sadly, the decision has been made to not run the #WelwynPetitTour in 2021. With so much work involved in putting on the event, the possibility of late cancellation in July is still very much in the balance.
"The great news is that the WGC Sports Foundation has agreed to continue its support in 2022.
"The festival is likely to be scheduled for the end of June or early July before schools break up for the summer."
Welwyn also hope they can still run their traditional Hilly 50km Time Trial on Good Friday.
- 1 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 5 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 6 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12
They said: "We are still planning to go ahead but there will be multiple changes compared to a normal year so please watch out for further announcements."
Those wishing to enter should go to https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/21693