Sports finish top of their group
HATFIELD Sports beat Lemsford 3-2 on Sunday to win the Chairman s Cup Group C and book a semi-final place. In wet and blustery conditions, the Division Three outfit quickly settled and went at Division Two side Lemsford from the off. They opened the scor
HATFIELD Sports beat Lemsford 3-2 on Sunday to win the Chairman's Cup Group C and book a semi-final place.
In wet and blustery conditions, the Division Three outfit quickly settled and went at Division Two side Lemsford from the off.
They opened the scoring when a long ball from keeper Danny Davies went through to Dan Hedges.
He cut inside before finding Perry Smith near the penalty spot. Smith drilled home the opener past the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Sports continued to dominate but conceded an equaliser just before half-time.
Weather conditions got worse in the second half but Sports remained on top.
- 1 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 4 Reis Suart becomes first county champion from Welwyn Garden City in over three decades
- 5 Investigation to take place into contact social services had with Christie Frewin before her murder
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Puddingstone Distillery launches new Ultrasonic gin to help Herts charity protect bats
- 8 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 Have you seen this highly sentimental stolen jewellery?
They got their second when Hedges was picked out on the left and he crossed to Tom Mardle, who cheekily chipped the keeper.
Lemsford again equalised when a looping shot held up on the wind.
Keeper Davies was caught by the flight before the rebound was slotted home.
With time running out, Sports pressed forward again.
The impressive Hedges once more broke towards the box before playing in Smith, who coolly rounded the keeper before finding the net.
There were more chances before the final whistle for both sides, but it is Sports who go into the semi-finals as group winners.
This Sunday Hatfield Sports are due to face Beehive in the league.
With two games left to play, Sports have to win them both to draw level with current leaders Peartree Wanderers.