Sainsbury’s 2014 School Games medals for Welwyn Wheelers’ Jack
- Credit: Archant
There was gold and silver medal joy for cyclist Jack Plumley at the Sainsbury’s 2014 School Games over the weekend.
The games were held across Manchester this year in an event designed to give around 1,600 young athletes a taste of what it would feel like to compete at a multi-sport event similar to the Olympic, World or Commonwealth Games.
Welwyn Wheelers rider Plumley, who is on the Herts Talented Athlete Programme, was representing the Eastern Region along with three other boys and four girls competing in eight events over three days.
Plumley competed in five races overall; Sprint, Keirin, 500TT, Team Sprint and Team Pursuit.
Plumley took gold in the 500TT and silver in the team sprint.
The Eastern team had actually won the team sprint race, but while they were waiting to be handed their gold medals were told they were relegated to silver due to a slight infrigement during the race.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 8 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 9 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?