Welwyn show promise with convincing win ahead of opening league encounter

PUBLISHED: 09:33 07 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:33 07 September 2017

Welwyn Rugby Club's Josh Milton making one of his trademark breaks.

Welwyn Rugby Club's Josh Milton making one of his trademark breaks.


Welwyn Rugby Club warmed up for the new London North West Three season with an impressive 45-22 pre-season win over Fullerians 2nds.

The performance was full of promise and showed the benefit of a hard eight weeks of training under the watchful eyes of coaches James Coles, Gareth Hughes and Ian Ewin.

The team looked fitter that at any stage last season and this was probably reflected in the total absence of any injuries sustained during the match.

Vice-Captain, Adam Harcourt skippered the side in the absence of Will Freeston, who is still recovering from an achilles injury picked up last year.

Welwyn were first on the scoreboard when they moved the ball swiftly to the right to allow winger Tom Turner to score in the corner.

Two minutes later, an opportunistic try by Rory Harcourt doubled Welwyn’s lead.

A water break was taken after 20 minutes of the half and suitably refreshed, Fullerians scored straight afterwards to halve the gap to 10-5.

This stirred Welwyn into action and a well-taken try by Josh Milton, converted by Ben Osgood, was followed by an even better one for the 18-year-old flanker who fielded the re-start before shrugging off a couple of tackles before turning on the pace and scoring under the posts.

Osgood again converted and would add a third conversion before half-time after Adam Harcourt scored.

A unconverted score by Fullerians meant Welwyn led 31-10 at the break.

The visitors enjoyed much the better of the third quarter of the game as Welwyn rang the changes bringing on Yourgos Alexander, Henry Fee and Joe Burns.

They scored twice in this period, converting one, to narrow the gap to 31-22 and prop Mike Hopkins then disagreed too loudly with a refereeing decision and spent 10 minutes in the sin bin for his trouble.

But Welwyn were not done for the day and Osgood converted his own try before the adding the extras to an Alexander effort.

Dan Comben was man of the match in what was a promising start for Welwyn ahead of Saturday’s league opener at OMT.

It was a busy afternoon at Hobbs Way on Saturday with two other games; the 2nds playing Weston and the Vets taking on OAs.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times