Welwyn RFC U15s claim Herts County Cup for eighth time in nine seasons

PUBLISHED: 16:57 06 May 2015 | UPDATED: 16:57 06 May 2015

Welwyn U15s celebrate winning their second succesive title double

Welwyn U15s celebrate winning their second succesive title double


Welwyn RFC’s talented U15 squad completed back-to-back doubles with a win over Bishop’s Stortford in the U15 Herts County Cup Final at Hertford RFC on Sunday.

The U15 have had an iron grip on the County Cup for the past decade, winning eight of the past nine finals of the competition and this was to be another routine victory to add to their bulging honours list.

Having won the toss, Welwyn captain Steffan Jones elected to play down the Hertford slope and this immediately put Bishop’s Stortford on the back foot.

Some uncharacteristic handling errors kept the Hobbs Lane Juniors at bay for the first five minutes but they soon hit their stride patterns to open the defence up at will.

It wasn’t long before Welwyn’s first points were on the board as Dominic Browne came off his left wing to execute a well-rehearsed backs set move to score an unconverted try in the corner.

That five-point lead soon became 12-0, as minutes later, fly-half Victor Hardwicke supplied centre Ethan Bussell to bound over the whitewash. Hardwicke added the extras.

A converted penalty try midway through the first half enhanced Welwyn’s sturdy lead to 19-0.

Despite, forging a good advantage before the break, they were dealt a blow as second row forward Cameron Boon left the field with what was later diagnosed as a broken collarbone.

That misfortune was soon forgotten with a fourth try.

Ben Smith unselfishly put in full-back James Lewis to make it 24-0. The conversion was missed.

Just when Stortford thought they had escaped into the dressing room just four tries down, number five was poached with seconds left of the half, courtesy of Bussell’s second try.

With the cup all but won and playing up the slope, Welwyn failed to maintain their earlier dominance, allowing Stortford to get a foothold.

The first points of the half, a converted try, were scored by Stortford to reduce the arrears to 22 points.

This woke Welwyn and they responded with a try, their final one, of the game to re-establish their 29-point lead.

A late Stortford try made the scoreline slightly more respectable but after their first-half blitz, it was always going to be Welwyn’s day.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times