Welwyn lose out at Harpenden

PUBLISHED: 13:44 10 November 2016

Phil Grehan breaks for Welwyn. Picture: KEVIN LINES

Phil Grehan breaks for Welwyn. Picture: KEVIN LINES


Welwyn' suffered a sixth loss in a row as they were beaten 41-22 at Harpenden on Saturday.

Harry Gillepsie takes the congratulations from Henry Fee after opening Welwyn's account against Harpenden. Picture: KEVIN LINES.Harry Gillepsie takes the congratulations from Henry Fee after opening Welwyn's account against Harpenden. Picture: KEVIN LINES.

Welwyn travelled to their county rivals having won just one London Two North West game all season.

The game started brightly and Welwyn were immediately under pressure.

With the constant pressure Harpenden finally broke through to score in the corner and converted successfully.

From the restart Harpenden pressed to build on their early advantage.

Again Welwyn defended with everything they had and managed to relieve the pressure with a good kick to touch.

From the line-out Harpenden moved the ball well through the hands and strong running to get a push over try in the corner, the score was again converted for 14-0.

With a Harpenden team growing in confidence in front of them Welwyn started to get possession and put some moves together.

With Phil Grehan directing operations at 10, Welwyn pushed forward into Harpenden’s half with Harry Gillespie breaking free and going over under the posts for Grehan to convert.

This seemed to settle Welwyn for a while and they were able to put the pressure back on Harpenden.

With Harpenden putting some passes together in the middle of the pitch Rory Harcourt chanced his arm to make an excellent interception and run the length of Harpenden’s half for a try.

Unfortunately Grehan was unable to convert this time.

With the score now standing at 14-12, it was promising a comeback.

Welwyn conceded too many penalties meaning that Harpenden were able to pile the pressure back on.

There was constant hard work and tackling from Welwyn, but Harpenden were able to find gaps and push over for another try to make the half-time score 22-12.

The second half saw Welwyn kick-off with 14 men after a yellow card just before half-time.

With this in mind Harpenden showed no let up and continued pushing forward with their backs linking up well and moving the ball around with some confidence.

Welwyn’s defence was again being put to the test with some heroic tackling from Ben Solez, but Harpenden proved too strong and got the reward of a couple of tries in the corners.

Welwyn were not about to give in and were now back to 15 men.

With the hard work of William Freeston, Rob Picken Joe Burns and the rest of the pack, they were finally able to set Gillespie free once again.

From one of his darting runs he claimed his second try, but no conversion was added.

Harpenden hit straight back with a try of their own.

Welwyn were not done yet as Burns went over.

It was a hard fought game with Welwyn never giving up and showing great spirit and determination whic they will need to climb from second bottom of the table.

Welwyn’s next league game will be on November 19 as they host Harrow.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times