Welwyn have the measure of Belsize Park

PUBLISHED: 11:00 02 October 2014 | UPDATED: 11:06 02 October 2014

 Welwyn RFC v Belsize Park

Welwyn RFC v Belsize Park


A remarkable encounter at Hobbs Way saw Welwyn recover from being 20-0 down at half-time to beat league leaders Belsize Park 35-30.

Following last week’s disappointing display against Datchworth, Welwyn had their work cut out as they faced unbeaten Park.

The opposition started the game in a determined manner. Welwyn found themselves seven points down as Belsize Park raced over for their first try after five minutes.

They added to their score with a penalty after 20 minutes and continued to play at speed scoring two more unconverted tries making it 20-0.

Their lineout and scrum gave them a good base for their lively backs to continue hounding the Welwyn line and the majority of the game was played in Welwyn’s half.

Welwyn tackled manfully and slowly started to gain possession and make some encouraging breaks and, whilst not scoring any points in the first half, they managed to prevent the visitors from increasing the lead.

Park started the second half as they had finished the first and were looking to attack the Welwyn line.

Welwyn took a quick penalty from their own 22 and moved the ball through the backs. A chip ahead bounced for captain Phil Grehan who raced through for a try which Wayne Child converted.

Shortly after this Carl Lewis was given a red card for foul play and Welwyn were down to 14 men for the rest of the match.

Welwyn tried to play expansive rugby, but Park were aggressive at the breakdown and kept the pressure on until an interception saw Grehan race under the posts for Welwyn’s second try, Child converted.

Belsize Park made use of their extra man and muscled their way over for their fourth try and widened the score to 25-14.

Welwyn showed tremendous spirit and a fine Child pass saw Grehan scamper over for his third try.

Child added the extra points and the score stood at 21-25.

With 35 minutes of the second half gone, Park barrelled their way over for another try, again missing the conversion, and with a nine point lead it looked as though Welwyn would lose the game.

A Park player was then shown a yellow card for a tip tackle leaving both teams with 14 men on the pitch.

Welwyn showed true grit, and good pressure in the Belsize Park 22 saw Rob Picken driven over the line by Ian Matthews and Dan Atkinson for a try, again converted by Child, to bring the score to 30-28, with the clock ticking down.

Child then raced over for Welwyn’s fifth try and added the extra two points to give Welwyn a 35-30 lead.

Park tried to have the last say as they crashed over the Welwyn line, but the ball was held up as the hosts claimed an impressive victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times