Seven tries helps irresistible Welwyn move up to second

PUBLISHED: 09:38 05 October 2017 | UPDATED: 09:41 05 October 2017

Daniel Comben was on the scoresheet in Welwyn's seven-try success over Old Streetonians. Picture: KARYN HADDON

Daniel Comben was on the scoresheet in Welwyn's seven-try success over Old Streetonians. Picture: KARYN HADDON


Welwyn moved second in London North West Three after a highly-entertaining 47-7 win at home to Old Streetonians.

The game also saw two red cards, one for each side, but this was anything but an ill-tempered affair.

Both teams looked to use free-flowing rugby at every opportunity but it was the hosts who had by far the better of things, running in seven tries.

However, it was the visitors who started strongly and Welwyn were fortunate to keep them out when the ball was held up close to the line.

A couple of fine tackles from Henry Fee also helped quell early attacks from the visitors but despite plenty of endeavour from both sides, the game was scoreless until the 25th minute.

Welwyn opted to kick a penalty to the corner and the decision was justified when Rob Picken was driven over the top from the resultant line-out.

The first red followed minutes later when Welwyn’s Aaron Chandler was adjudged to have picked up a Old Street player and not delivered him safely back to the ground.

But Welwyn’s reaction was superb and within a minute great off-loading from forwards Picken and Ash Dobney released Josh Milton for the score. Rory Harcourt added the extras.

And more off-loading amongst the forwards five minutes later created space for Phil Grehan, who jinked his way over from 30 metres.

The second flashpoint came just before half-time when the referee saw a punch thrown by a visiting player and his day was also over earlier than expected.

They still found the time to score before the break but after the interval it was all Welwyn.

Grehan and Harcourt exchanged passes to release Ollie Di Lieto who raced over from 35 metres and then Brad Lack made good yards before passing the ball via Dan Webb to Dan Comben for a very popular score.

Di Lieto added his second with the individual try of the match, running 45 metres and putting a lovely kick ahead and catch in the middle.

And almost from the kick-off, Harry Gillespie then outpaced a tiring defence to score from 75 metres.

Harocurt kicked all four second-half conversions.

Welwyn will look to add to the positives when they go to Grasshoppers on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times