Runners-up spot for Welwyn Warriors in Nationals

PUBLISHED: 16:48 23 May 2013 | UPDATED: 16:51 23 May 2013

Welwyn U18s

Welwyn U18s


WELWYN U18 girls put in a number of sterling performances to finish as runners-up in the National 7s Cup earlier this month.

With the Warriors’ top three try scorers all unavailable it was always going to be a formidable challenge competing in the wide-open spaces of a 7-a-side competition.

Welwyn were drawn to play against Paviors, Leeds and Newquay in the opening pool games with the first two teams progressing to the knock-out stages of the competition.

First up were Paviors and tries from Vicci Cogger, Bryony Pomfret and Floss Jones helped Welwyn come from 17-5 down to secure a draw.

Leeds, who had won their first game, were the girls’ next opponents. Stevie Farrow, Megan Smith and a second try of the day from Jones put Welwyn 19-0 and coasting at half time.

The Yorkshire team came back strongly though and it took a second try of the tournament from Cogger to secure a 24-14 win.

Welwyn’s final pool game was against Newquay, who, unfortunately for them, could only field a team of six players.

Welwyn coach, Bob Dawson, sportingly whittled his team down to six players in order to make the fixture competitive.

It didn’t affect the result though as a hat-trick from Farrow and further tries from Sid Nurthen and Hannah Jones gave Welwyn a comfortable 29-5 victory.

The draw for the quarter-final pitted Welwyn against hosts Lichfield, but it seemed that Welwyn were not the only team struggling for players and the match was forfeited, putting the Warriors into the semi-finals against Lancashire Lightning.

Lightning struck first but Welwyn replied immediately with Cogger forcing her way through the Lancashire defensive line to score under the posts.

With the game finely balance, forward Cogger thundered through again to give Welwyn a 12-5 lead, and that was how it stayed to put the team through to final.

Awaiting Welwyn in the final were the familiar Paviors who, since drawing their first game against the Warriors, had swept all other opposition aside.

It proved a bridge too far for the depleted Welwyn team though, with Paviors taking a 21-0 lead following three converted tries.

The Warriors piled on the pressure, and were finally rewarded when Farrow got her name on the scoresheet. That was to be the end of the scoring though and, following a valiant effort, the game finished 21-7 to Paviors.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times