Herts beaten by Crawshay's Welsh

PUBLISHED: 15:14 01 May 2008 | UPDATED: 21:27 26 October 2009

Hertfordshire 19 Crawshay s Welsh 45 HERTS lost 45-19 to Crawshay s Welsh on Sunday, despite Welwyn s Jon Child getting on the scoresheet. Child grabbed a second-half try and conversion, but his side fell to a heavy defeat. As part of Hertfordshire s pre

Hertfordshire 19 Crawshay's Welsh 45

HERTS lost 45-19 to Crawshay's Welsh on Sunday, despite Welwyn's Jon Child getting on the scoresheet.

Child grabbed a second-half try and conversion, but his side fell to a heavy defeat.

As part of Hertfordshire's preparations for this season's County Championship, they hosted Crawshay's Welsh RFC at Old Albanian's ground.

The match also honoured the memory of Vivian Jenkins, the former Welsh international who lived his later years in Harpenden.

Vivian was a life member of Hertfordshire RFU and was also president of Crawshay's Welsh XV at the time of his death.

Crawshay's XV contained many players with National League experience and Herts were missing some of the players that will represent the county in this year's County Championship Shield.

The game was open and fluid and after a hesitant first quarter, during which the visitors raced into a 19-point lead, the Herts backs got together and began to play as unit.

They managed to take one scrum against the head towards the end of the half and it was unfortunate that a succession of injuries resulted in uncontested scrums for most of the second half.

The loose play of the Herts players, with skipper Dave Archer to the fore, improved as the game went on and provided the hosts plenty of possession.

The backs couldn't make a breakthrough in the closing stages of the first half, but used the ball well to score three tries in the second.

Before the Herts XV could gel or get used to the pace of their guests, they conceded three tries in the first 15 minutes of the match.

Wings James Hawken and Roman Piotrowski scored the first two tries, with Owain Walbyoff getting the third.

Lee Cholewa converted two of the tries to put the visitors 19-0 up.

Herts gradually got into the game, although with 10 minutes of the half left Crawshay skipper Glen Remnant added another try, converted by Hawken.

Herts put all their replacements on at half-time and made some positional changes.

More adjustments had to be made after eight minutes when prop Jim Remfrey was injured and uncontested scrums were required.

Herts got their first try when Hertford winger Baba Sodeke touched down.

The visitors increased their lead when Mike Rust went in under the post and Hawken converted.

Minutes later, Herts struck back when a fine break by Ian Crompton made space for Mike Mansfield to sprint over the line, Mansfield converting his own try.

Child got his try on the half hour and added his own conversion.

Sloppy passing resulted in Crawshay's Tryfan Edwards capitalising with a try converted by Hawken.

The scoring ended with Brett MacNamee going over just before the final whistle to make the score 45-19 at the finish.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times