Hatfield team's victory hopes turn to ashes

PUBLISHED: 13:21 07 January 2009 | UPDATED: 21:53 26 October 2009

A Hatfield 2nd XV player goes to ground

A Hatfield 2nd XV player goes to ground

Hatfield Queen Elizabeth RFC 2nd XV 25 Old Ashmoleans 3rds 29 HATFIELD Queen Elizabeth s 2nd XV took centre stage on Saturday with the first team s cup match against Royston being called off. However, the Hatfield team didn t get the start to the New Yea

Lineout action

Hatfield Queen Elizabeth RFC 2nd XV 25

Old Ashmoleans 3rds 29

HATFIELD Queen Elizabeth's 2nd XV took centre stage on Saturday with the first team's cup match against Royston being called off.

Hatfield leap for the ball at a lineout

However, the Hatfield team didn't get the start to the New Year they wanted after a battling game on a frozen pitch and narrowly lost 29-25 to Old Ashmoleans 3rds.

The Roe Hill Hall club started strongly enough with some brilliant work from the backs.

Jack Griffiths at scrum-half passed out of the back of the ruck to David Rawlings, playing at fly-half for the first time.

Rawlings in turn popped it to Charlie Warren, making his debut for the club. Running through several tackles, he then offloaded back to Rawlings, who found himself in space and ran 30 yards to cross the line.

It was then Warren's turn to take the credit as he went on another storming run and broke free and went under the posts.

Rawlings missed the easy conversion and was then relieved of kicking duties.

It was then the turn of the Hatfield forwards, as they rucked hard over the game line time and again and the Ashmoleans team were seen to have killed the ball in a ruck.

Hatfield were close to the try-line, so the pack run it in and flanker Luke Mitchell crossed the line to put the home team 15 points up without reply.

The hosts then started to relax a bit and let Ashmoleans back into the game and after some strong defending from the whole team, the away side finally broke through to get their first points on the board.

They managed to do the same thing again just before half-time to make it 15-12 at the break.

Hatfield came head first out of the blocks in the second half and dominated large periods of possession.

Anther penalty was awarded to Hatfield and Griffiths passed to Rawlings, who popped it up for prop Jamie Beeney to crash his way over the line for a try.

Soon after Mitchell went over the line for his second try of the game, giving Hatfield a healthy 25-12 lead.

That should have killed the game off but Hatfield started to panic and a few individuals tried to do too much, got caught in possession and gave the ball away.

And after some ill-discipline, the referee also turned against Hatfield and started blowing up for every small infringement.

When Hatfield captain Steve Ribbons tried to intervene, the referee marched the home players back another 10 yards.

He kept doing this until the away team managed to break through and score.

This happened again several minutes later but the Ashmolean attacker dropped the ball over the line.

However, the referee still awarded the try which was converted to bring the scoreline to 25-24.

Hatfield looked like they were going to cling onto their lead until the final few minutes when the away team broke through several tackles to score in the corner for the winning try.

It was an unfortunate end for Hatfield as nobody had really played badly.

Ribbons said: "It doesn't help when you lose the ref in a game, but we panicked in places, but everyone played brilliantly and it is a promising start to the year.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times