Harpenden and Welwyn represented as Katy Daley-McLean gets set to win 100th England Red Roses cap
PUBLISHED: 15:59 07 November 2018
PA Archive/PA Images
Harpenden’s Sarah McKenna and Welwyn Garden City’s Ellena Perry will both start as England begin their autumn Quilter Internationals against USA at Allianz Park.
The game on Friday will be Perry’s first cap and she will be joined in the squad by former team-mates at Hobbs Way Zoe Harrison and Hannah Botterman who are both included on the bench.
Head coach Simon Middleton said: “We know where we are and there’s a lot of excitement among the squad to start a new international season.
“We have new talent among the group who have developed their rugby through the pathway and Tyrrells Premier 15s and bring a mix of rugby backgrounds to the set up.
“It’s important to give players opportunities and there is a lot to play for.”
But alongside Perry and the three other debutants, there will be plenty of experience, not least in the shape of Katy Daley-McLean who will win her 100th cap.
The 32-year-old got her first cap back in 2007 against Scotland and Middleton was full of praise for her achievement.
He said: “Katy is one of the greatest women’s players ever. It’s a remarkable achievement to get 100 caps for your country, especially considering she took time out in the sevens programme to represent Team GB in the Olympics.
“She has everything; an accomplished skillset, ability and a thorough understanding of the game.
“Katy is a great asset to England, a natural leader and an inspirational player. She knows how to inspire a team and is a great on-field motivator.”
Kick-off is at 7.45pm.
England Women match-day 23
15. Sarah McKenna (Saracens, 14 caps)
14. Lydia Thompson (Worcester Valkyries, 38 caps)
13. Carys Williams (Loughborough Lightning, uncapped)
12. Tatyana Heard (Gloucester-Hartpury, uncapped)
11. Kelly Smith (Gloucester-Hartpury, 2 caps)
10. Katy Daley-Mclean (Loughborough Lightning, 99 caps)
9. Leanne Riley (Harlequins, 21 caps)
1. Ellena Perry (Saracens, uncapped)
2. Lark Davies (Worcester Valkyries, 10 caps)
3. Shaunagh Brown (Harlequins, 2 caps)
4. Zoe Aldcroft (Gloucester-Hartpury, 6 caps)
5. Abbie Scott (Harlequins, 29 caps) ©
6. Joanna Brown (Loughborough Lightning, 1 cap)
7. Vicky Fleetwood (Saracens, 65 caps)
8. Sarah Beckett (Firwood Waterloo, uncapped)
16. Heather Kerr (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks, 13 caps)
17. Vicki Cornborough (Harlequins, 39 caps)
18. Hannah Botterman (Saracens, 2 caps)
19. Catherine O’Donnell (Loughborough Lightning, 4 caps)
20. Sarah Hunter (Loughborough Lightning, 105 caps)
21. Claudia Macdonald (Wasps FC Ladies, uncapped)
22. Zoe Harrison (Saracens, 5 caps)
23. Lucy Attwood (Bristol Bears, uncapped)