Datchworth left to rue costly errors as derby spoils go the way of stubborn Stevenage

PUBLISHED: 08:30 08 November 2018

Stuart Young was heavily involved in Datchworth's first try against Stevenage Town. Picture: DANNY LOO

Stuart Young was heavily involved in Datchworth's first try against Stevenage Town. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Danny Loo Photography - all rights reserved

Missed chances and unforced errors left Datchworth counting the cost as they lost 19-14 at home to Stevenage Town.

The hosts had started on fire but somehow found themselves 19-0 down by the break.

And although they rallied in the second half, the damage had been done and they slip to fifth in the table.

You wouldn’t have guessed the way the game would go if you just watched the opening 15 minutes.

The Men in Green were on the front foot from the first whistle and could have scored early on with Liam Walker and Jake Edhodage making big inroads into the Stevenage defence but a forward pass prevented James Watt from an unopposed score.

But still Datchworth pressed and even turned down three points for a kick to the corner, such was their confidence.

And with an overlap waiting after another break from Walker, helped this time by James Young, a dropped ball let Stevenage off the hook.

The next saw Tom Wood, Sam McBroom and Tom Blackwell charge forward but a crossfield kick from Sam Brunton was blocked and again the opportunity was gone.

And as if to rub salt into the wounds Stevenage bagged the opening try, Clancy intercepting a long pass before running in from 70 yards out.

Datchworth continued to press, a knock-on close to the line preventing another score, and again Stevenage showed their clinical nature with yet another interception, this time Banna going in from halfway.

Lewis added the extras and he did so again on the stroke of half-time after Tipene found a gap and to cross the line.

Like the first half Datchworth were on the charge straight from the kick off but unlike the previous period, this time their pressure brought success.

A pick and go from the base of a scrum saw a penalty try pull seven points back and although Wood sent a kick at goal wide, Datchworth still believed they could over turn the deficit.

And when Wood converted Barry Malone’s tap-and-go penalty with five minutes to go, the gap was just five points.

But Stevenage held firm and for their calmness in defence were well worthy of the win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times