Bonus-point victory gives relegation-threatened Welwyn chance to survive

PUBLISHED: 12:26 27 March 2017 | UPDATED: 12:26 27 March 2017

Adam Harcourt in action for Welwyn RFC

Adam Harcourt in action for Welwyn RFC


Adam Harcourt scored three tries as Welwyn secured a valuable bonus point from a 50-13 win against bottom side Stockwood Park that could prove vital in their London Division Two North West relegation battle.

Welwyn scored eight tries in all with Harcourt’s treble and the others shared by Callum Tormey, Josh Milton, Aaron Chandler, Phil Grehan and Harry Di-Lieto.

The Hobbs Way side travel to Hammersmith & Fulham on Saturday knowing a win should see them avoid the drop.

On a fine Spring afternoon Welwyn took the lead after two minutes as, following a scrum in front of the visitors’ posts, No 8 Rob Picken picked up and fed scrum half Harcourt who outpaced the defence to score close to the posts. Skipper Grehan converted.

Stockwood Park responded with an unconverted try after four minutes to take the score to 7-5.

Five minutes later fly half Tormey dummied his way over for a fine try to extend Welwyn’s lead to 12-5.

The third try saw flanker Di-Lieto make a powerful break and pass to Harcourt for his second try.

Welwyn’s bonus point try was a spectacular solo effort by 17-year-old flanker Josh Milton as he showed great pace and footwork to score under the posts.

Park kicked a penalty and just before half-time, another well-controlled scrum led to a carbon copy of the first try with Picken feeding Harcourt who secured his hat trick to take the score to 29-8.

Welwyn then scored the try of the day with a move covering 95 metres.

From a lineout on their own five metre line, Ash Maxwell made good ground and the ball was moved to the right.

Grehan’s searing pace created gaps in Park’s defence and allowed him to put Chandler in close to the posts. The conversion took the half-time score to 36-8.

Welwyn brought on Liam Schofield and Dave Wells at half-time and early in the second half, Tormey picked up a knee injury and was replaced by Harry Di-Lieto.

Wells did not last long as a hamstring injury forced him off and Joe Burns returned to the fray.

Welwyn were less fluent in the second half but still managed two fine tries through Grehan and Di-Lieto to take their final score up to 50 points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times