Reynolds strikes late as Welwyn Garden City head into top-of-the-table clash on a high

PUBLISHED: 15:53 15 November 2016 | UPDATED: 15:53 15 November 2016

Rob Sansom in action for WGC

Rob Sansom in action for WGC


Oli Reynolds snatched a late winner as Welwyn Garden City moved to within three points of league leaders Berkhamsted with this determined home triumph.

WGC looked to have thrown away the three points as they surrendered a two-goal advantage but in-form Reynolds’ strike ensured a sixth win in seven league games.

The visitors had the better start and WGC found themselves under a lot of pressure.

Aerial passes from Jens Van Helden relieved some of the pressure temporarily and gave the hosts some fast break opportunities.

However, WGC struggled in the final third while, at the other end, Winchmore Hill’s pressure yielded several powerful shots at goal on the reverse stick which were well-saved by keeper Dan Klinger.

The home side also conceded a number of penalty corners but WGC put in last-ditch efforts to stop Winchmore from making the most of them.

From then WGC began to wake up and create chances of their own.

A fast break saw Reynolds race towards the Winchmore keeper who came out of his D to meet him and was judged to have accidentally played the ball with his protective pad after his stick and a penalty corner was awarded to WGC.

Matt O’Connell’s injection was received by Tom Godfrey who paused and then fired the ball across the goal to Reynolds who deflected it into the top of the net to give WGC a 1-0 half-time lead.

WGC started the second period better than the first and soon doubled their advantage.

Reynolds was deliberately fouled in an attempt to break down play, however, he managed to continue his run along the Winchmore Hill baseline.

He crossed the ball to Oli Rowe who made no mistake for 2-0.

Winchmore, now with nothing to lose, pressed WGC again and were able to win a number of penalty corners, one of which pulled two goals back.

With the game becoming more end to end WGC still looked in control and eventually ground out a winner.

Peter Mullens drove forward, drew the final defence and keeper out and then slipped the ball left to Reynolds who fired home.

WGC face a real test of their title credentials this Saturday as they travel to league leaders Berkhamsted.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times