Primary schools’ football tournament hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
Eight primary schools took part in another successful running of the Hatfield & District Primary Schools’ Football Tournament.
Birchwood Avenue, Countess Anne, De Havilland, Hatfield Community Free School, Green Lanes, The Ryde, St Philip Howard and St Mary’s met at De Havilland School on Travellers Lane for the annual curtain raiser to the season.
The eight teams were split into two groups of four and played each other in a round-robin league with the top two progressing to the semi-finals.
This stage produced some very exciting and close matches, with the quality of play rising as the morning progressed.
The final four saw St Philip Howard overcame St Mary’s but Green Lanes and De Havilland could not be separated in normal or extra time, their game finishing 1-1.
You may also want to watch:
It meant the dreaded penalty shoot-out which De Havilland just managed to squeeze through.
The final was very tense with great commitment from both sides.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City man shares 9.5 stone weight loss journey
- 2 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 5 Council leader survives no confidence vote
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- 10 DIY SOS star Billy Byrne set to open returning Codicote Village Day this weekend
Both teams poured their energy into the contest but in the end it was a single long-range effort that settled the game in favour of St Philip Howard.
Event organisers thanked the referees, players, staff and families of all schools who took part and made the tournament a great success as well as the De Havilland staff members who helped to stage the event.
For more pictures see www.whtimes.co.uk/sport