Potters Bar Town through in FA Trophy after FA award abandoned tie with Bedford Town to them
- Credit: PETER SHORT
Potters Bar Town have had their passage to the FA Trophy second round confirmed after Saturday's game with Bedford Town was abandoned in stoppage time.
Bar were leading 1-0 at the time courtesy of a Ben Ward-Cochrane goal, scored in the second minute.
But with three of the five additional minutes played at the end of the contest, an ugly brawl, described by Scholars manager Lee O'Leary as "distasteful", saw the referee call a premature halt.
However, after hearing evidence from both parties, the FA decided the result would stand and Potters Bar would advance to an away game at Braintree Town of the National League South on November 27.
The official ruling from the FA said: "Following the abandonment, a sub-committee of the FA's national game competitions committee was held on Monday to consider the matter in accordance with rule 11(b) of the FA Trophy.
"Having given due consideration to all of the relevant facts from the evidence provided, the members unanimously concluded that the score at the time of the abandonment in the 93rd minute should stand as the result of the match.
"Therefore, as the score was 0-1 to Potters Bar Town at the time of the abandonment, the members ordered that the tie be awarded to Potters Bar Town, who will play away against Braintree Town in the second round proper on Saturday, November 27, 2021.
"The members made no further orders and the prize fund shall be paid by the FA to the winner and loser in accordance with the rules of the FA Trophy."
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 3 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 Great family entertainment in Christmas production of Goodnight Mr Tom at the Barn Theatre in Welwyn Garden City
- 8 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 9 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Local Plan guidelines clarified following ‘green fields’ confusion