Potters Bar seal play-off berth with two games to go

PUBLISHED: 14:13 20 August 2018 | UPDATED: 14:15 20 August 2018

Potters Bar's Luke Chapman took four wickets against West Herts. Picture: DANNY LOO

Potters Bar's Luke Chapman took four wickets against West Herts. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Danny Loo Photography - all rights reserved

Potters Bar confirmed their place in the Saracens Hertfordshire Cricket League Premier Division play-offs with a comfortable five-wicket win at home to West Herts.

The visitors to The Walk were the only real team who could have stopped them but they found the going tough from the word go.

Bar won the toss and asked the visitors to bat first on what was a day for the bowlers and it wasn’t long before they got the breakthrough.

Jigar Mehta trapped Alistair Lewis leg before for a duck and when he clean bowled Daniel Vaughan for 13, the Watford-based side were 24-2.

It didn’t get any better for the next few overs as Kamran Younas had Lachlan McLean out without troubling the scorers and Patrick Scott saw off Will Jones for just four.

At that point West Herts were 38-4 but a stubborn partnership between Craig Sanders and Matt Smith threatened to drag them back into it.

But having added 31 they both departed in quick succession and it left the visitors in dire trouble.

Luke Chapman got both of those wickets and he went on to claim another two, finishing on 4-24.

But from 80-8 West Herts somehow managed to get to 134 thanks in part to a dogged and unbeaten 29 from Sohail Syed.

Younas ended on 2-21 and Mehta was 2-18, James Scott getting the final wicket.

With such a small target to chase they could have been forgiven for thinking it would be easy but any complacency was soon well and truly dispelled as Steve Gale edged the second ball of the innings to Smith at second slip, giving Jones a 40th league wicket of the season.

And it got Bar quickly back on track as James Scott and Harrison Palmer added 63 for the second wicket before the former departed for 29.

Palmer was then stumped off a wide to leave Bar 72-3 and when Younas lobbed one to square leg it was 80-4.

But that brought Charlie Scott in and he blasted 34 in 26 balls, the first 11 of which he didn’t score off.

He was bowled before the end but a towering six from Zawar Hussain brought the win in the 23rd over.

The job now is to finish in the top two and secure a home semi-final.

Saturday’s game at fellow play-off side WGC will go a long way to deciding that.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists