Potters Bar Hockey Club earn fine draw with East League Division One leaders Sudbury

PUBLISHED: 11:55 16 October 2018 | UPDATED: 11:55 16 October 2018

Ed Whybrow scored Potters Bar's goal against Sudbury. Picture: Danny Loo

Ed Whybrow scored Potters Bar's goal against Sudbury. Picture: Danny Loo

Danny Loo Photography 2017

Potters Bar Hockey Club returned from two long road trips to earn a creditable 1-1 home draw against East League Division One leaders Sudbury.

The match started with an expected high intensity from both sides but it was Sudbury who did the pressing, with the Bar defensive trio of Josh Edge, Hugh Kenney-Herbert and Raymond Li required to make several last-ditch tackles to keep them at bay.

Sudbury were also able to fashion a number of short corner opportunities early on, one of which was expertly tipped over the bar by Kenney-Herbert.

But as the half went on Bar skipper Mark Turpin and young England star Harvey Edwards, well assisted by an excellent performance from Dom Boakes and the mercurial talents of Tom Clarke, made some inroads and looked threatening but without producing an end product.

Turpin had the best of the chances with a well-worked build up leading to a one on one with the Sudbury keeper but with his back to goal, he couldn’t get a clean shot away and an absorbing first half ended 0-0.

Both teams felt the game was there for the taking and with both pressing, gaps soon opened up.

Ben Balmforth had to dive to his right to produce a special save from one visiting attack and Sudbury had a glorious chance shortly after but they sent a penalty flick wide.

But with pressure mounting it was no surprise that they finally took the lead 15 minutes into the half.

Another quick counter attack found a Bar foot in the D and a well-executed move from the subsequent short corner saw the ball squeezed past Kenney-Herbert on the post.

However, that lead lasted just five minutes as Bar launched their own counter attack and Turpin combined with Jonathan Elms for the latter to shoot.

His effort was kept out by the keeper but the rebound fell to top-scorer Ed Whybrow who crashed the ball home from a tight angle via a deflection off the prone goalie and the underside of the crossbar.

Both sides pressed for a winner in the time remaining.

David Flynn’s excellent performance as midfield general was crowned with a spectacular 30-yard aerial to his right which just couldn’t bring the killer blow while Ed Seaman’s excellent break and cross narrowly failed to find a Bar stick in the Sudbury D. The visitors best effort ended with Kenney-Herbert being shown a green card for a stick tackle when Sudbury were breaking through on goal.

But the hosts were able to see out the closing stages and gain their valuable point, which leaves them fifth in the table.

They are back on their travels on Saturday when they go to Wisbech Town.

Potters Bar’s women lost 2-0 at home to WGC.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists