Palmer's fine knock is not enough against Chorleywood

PUBLISHED: 18:21 24 June 2008 | UPDATED: 21:31 26 October 2009

Mike Palmer batting for Potters Bar 2nds

Mike Palmer batting for Potters Bar 2nds

Saracens Herts League Division Two Potters Bar 2nds 193-10 Chorleywood 195-6 OPENER Mike Palmer struck a classy 91 for Potters Bar 2nds on Saturday, but his side still lost by four wickets. Potters Bar s 2nd XI lost to Chorleywood s first team after domi

Saracens Herts League Division Two

Potters Bar 2nds 193-10 Chorleywood 195-6

OPENER Mike Palmer struck a classy 91 for Potters Bar 2nds on Saturday, but his side still lost by four wickets.

Potters Bar's 2nd XI lost to Chorleywood's first team after dominating the majority of the game.

With heavy traffic preventing half the team from arriving on time, Potters Bar won the toss and were forced to bat first, as the opposition and umpires demanded a prompt start.

Things started off well for Bar with openers Palmer and Matt Evans timing the ball nicely.

However, Evans was adjudged lbw with the score on 27 whilst playing a pull shot.

One quickly became two as number three Dave Pett played a similar shot to Evans, only to toe the ball straight to square leg, who made a meal of a simple catch.

With Palmer playing beautifully at one end, big-hitter Mark Taylor entered the field.

Taylor played some stereotypical shots and found the boundary at regular intervals.

However, his innings was ended when he was adjudged lbw to Watson for 27.

Bar's middle order came and went, as Dass and Tom Pett went for single figure scores, and from 102-2 Bar were now 106-5.

Keeper David Rock hung around for a while but when he was dismissed for eight, Bar were really struggling at 126-6.

Then 17-year-old Luke Owers joined Palmer, who had already passed 50 at the crease.

Owers was to play at his fluent best, caressing the ball to all parts and offering Palmer support.

He also played the shot of the day, a lofted six off leg spinner Watson.

Unfortunately for Bar, Owers and Palmer fell in quick succession, the latter for an excellent 91.

Bar were unable to make the 200 mark and were dismissed for 193 in the final over of their innings.

Chorleywood opened up with overseas superstar Luke Vivian.

He immediately put his mark on the game, hitting Boyce for six off the second ball of the innings.

The next 14 overs were the Vivian show as he clubbed good and bad balls to the boundary.

The introduction of spin slowed the scoring, but could not prevent Vivian passing 50 with the overall score on just 59.

The other opener was caught behind to the off-spin of Dean Dass for nine, and then the big wicket fell.

Luke Owers, who had bowled with great control, delivered one into the legs of Vivian.

He hammered the ball to mid-wicket, where Dass took a sharp catch above his head.

Bar were now on a high and needed to convert their chances.

The spin twins of Owers and Dass started to build the pressure and picked off wickets regularly.

When Owers removed Watson Jr, Chorleywood were starring down the barrel at 130-6 with 10 overs to go.

With the spinners now starting to be milked, captain Greg Hodge had a go from the top end and found notable lateral movement.

A missed stumping off Hodge and a dropped catch off the bowling of Owers should have been taken, as Chorleywood's seventh wicket pairing edged closer.

Hodge tried one gamble too far when an over from Taylor was taken for 14.

The game was won off the first ball of the next over and Bar were left deeply frustrated.

After the game, Bar skipper Greg Hodge said: "We shouldn't have lost here today. Our attitude wasn't great and although the wet weather doesn't help, people have to want to play cricket.

"On a positive note, Luke Owers batted and bowled brilliantly and looked every bit last year's player of the year.

"We have now played all of the top six, so hopefully we can string a few wins together over the next few weeks and climb back up the table.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists