National title for Herts Ravens Basketball team
- Credit: Archant
Herts Ravens (Special Olympics East Herts) Basketball Club have been crowned champions of the Special Olympics GB National Basketball competition.
Ravens, who are coached by Welwyn Garden City’s Simon Turner, played a tough few games on Saturday, but topped their division to secure a place in the play-offs and medal games on Sunday.
The team of Zak Guy, Daniel Large, Emma Large, Tara Phillips, Matthew Philpott, Jeff Saggs, Alfie Sherwood, Joel Weeks and Mitchell Wright, won their semi-final 22-0 and beat Yorkshire and Humberside 10-5 in the final.
Coach Turner, said: “It has been a phenomenal weekend. I cannot believe how far all of the players have come since I joined them a mere nine months ago when they were playing on an AstroTurf football pitch and had never competed in any games, let alone a national competition.
“I am so proud of every single player and all of the other volunteers and parents that helped them win this deserving accolade.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to continue growing the club and developing the players’ abilities, we are now national champions and will work hard to retain our title.”
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 3 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 4 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 10 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'