Milestones recognised for Welwyn Rugby Club duo
- Credit: Archant
Welwyn Rugby Club got to celebrate two big milestones for two of their players prior to the sport finishing for the season.
Scrum-half Yourgos Alexander and front-row forward Dan Atkinson received awards for reaching 200 and 100 appearances for the Hobbs Way-based club’s first team.
Alexander has played at the cub since his teens and reached his total against Hammersmith & Fulham.
He was presented with a memorial shield by head coach Gareth Hughes, who was his half-back partner on his debut.
Hughes said: “He is a very talented player and like all good scrum -halves, he is always willing to help the referee with his decision making.”
You may also want to watch:
Atkinson meanwhile collected his cap in February.
Traditionally it is presented by the captain of the team when the player made his debut but in Pete Elliott’s absence, this task was carried out by his sister Rachel.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
Club president Mark Elliott said: “Dan is like a good red wine, he keeps getting better with age. Hopefully he will carry on and make a vintage 200th appearance within the next few seasons.”