Mavericks just beaten by Surrey Storm at Copper Box in front of record breaking crowd
- Credit: Archant
A record crowd for a domestic netball match saw Herts Mavericks fall to a narrow defeat to Surrey Storm at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday.
A total of 3,151 spectators made their way to the London 2012 Olympic Games venue to see the Hatfield-based Mavericks lose 52-50 in the Zeo Netball Superleague clash.
Mavericks went ahead early on, but Storm had taken a 16-12 lead by the end of the first quarter and stretched that to 30-22 by half-time.
There looked no way back for Mavericks when they were 10 behind, 43-33, following the third period.
However, a dramtic final quarter saw Karen Atkinson’s side come to within a point of the league leaders, however Storm clung on and secured the victory by two points.
You may also want to watch:
Mavericks travel to Wales on Friday to face Celtic Dragon, before heading north to face Manchester Thunder on Monday (March 17).
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire