Magnificent seven for Welwyn Garden City against Southgate Adelaide

PUBLISHED: 17:23 01 November 2016 | UPDATED: 17:23 01 November 2016

Tom Godfrey in action for Welwyn Garden City

Tom Godfrey in action for Welwyn Garden City


A thumping 7-0 success over Southgate Adelaide on Saturday saw Welwyn Garden City men continue their fine start to the Division 3SW season.

Rob Sansom in action for Welwyn Garden CityRob Sansom in action for Welwyn Garden City

WGC began the match with only the bare 11 players and thus started very slowly with most of the first half being played at walking pace.

On the rare occasions that WGC did play with pace and purpose they created chances at will.

A number of chances were squandered with most shots being hit directly at the charging Southgate Adelaide keeper.

Some good play from the midfield of Mark Skilbeck, Rob Sansom, Matt O’Connell and Tom Godfrey resulted in a good through-ball from Sansom to Oli Reynolds who continued his fine scoring run to put WGC 1-0 up.

On the odd occasion Southgate did break through the midfield the WGC defence of debutant Nick Pratt, Stuart Stephens, Peter Mullens and James Lutrario cleared the danger with minimal fuss.

The second goal came from a good driving dribble down the right from Bryn Evans.

After cutting in and shooting, Godfrey was taking no chances after seeing an earlier shot by Evans cleared off the line by a defender and he stopped the ball and passed it into the empty goal.

The second half started poorly for the hosts with 10 minutes of sloppy play resulting in WGC finding it hard to get the ball out of their own half and conceding a number of penalty corners as a result.

Fortunately for WGC this period didn’t end in any goals conceded as keeper and captain Dan Klinger dealt with the few Southgate shots that came his way. Better WGC play resulted in the winning of a penalty corner.

A neat passing routine from the resulting corner followed and Sansom scored a well-worked goal.

From this point on WGC started to take a hold of the game and it was a question of how many they would score.

A stray pass found Mullens free on the edge of the D and a speculative cross-shot evaded everyone including the keeper for a fourth goal.

The fifth came after neat passing found Sansom free to sweep home and cap a man of the match performance with his second goal.

WGC were not done with the sixth coming after a scramble in the D resulting in the ball falling to Reynolds who duly dispatched the chance into the top corner.

The final goal was scored from a penalty corner with Evans netting with a drag flick which went through the keeper’s legs.

WGC will be looking to continue their winning run away at Luton Town on Saturday.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists