Welwyn Wheelers' Leon Atkins claims a third national title
- Credit: HUW WILLIAMS
Leon Atkins is at it again as he added a third national cycling title to his incredible list of achievements.
The Welwyn Wheelers youngster is already the top dog in cyclo-cross and mountain biking and has now added the 2022 Youth National Road Circuit Championships.
Held at the very hilly Oliver’s Mount course as part of the Scarborough Festival of Cycling, it brought out the cream of U14 and U16 riders.
The savage climb on every lap after lap, together with the blazing heat, helped filter the field but Atkins was in good form throughout the U14 race and with two laps to go, he was in a group of three off the front.
The 55-minute race came down to a two-man sprint but the Welwyn man got the nod.
Team-mates Ethan Storti and Henry Hobbs were in the U16 race, holding their own in a field of more than 100.
Hobbs fared the better, only distanced by the late, race-winning move from the top four.
- 1 Overgrown country lane 'is danger' to users, says mother
- 2 Crane hire company with Welwyn Garden City depot goes into administration
- 3 Campaigners hit out at Spectator’s ‘the folly of garden cities’ piece
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 6 Hunt for stolen labrador puppy from Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 8 New Armed Forces & Veterans Breakfast Club launching at Two Willows pub in Welwyn Garden City
- 9 Kaiser Chiefs to perform extra show at Pub in the Park 2022 in St Albans
- 10 A-level results 2022: When is results day and what can I expect?
He came home in ninth though while Storti moved steadily through the field to finish inside the top 50.