Jodie Williams gets England call for 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Credit: MARTIN RICKETT/PA
Team England took their athletics squad for the 2022 Commonwealth Games up to 93 - with Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams among the 72 to be called up.
She will be joined in Birmingham by the likes of world 200m champion Dina Asher-Smith, world heptathlon champion Katarina Johnson-Thompson, Tokyo Olympic 800m silver medallist Keely Hodgkinson and Matthew Hudson-Smith, current European 400m champion and British record holder.
The athletics competition gets under way on August 2 at the improved Alexander Stadium.
Leader of Team England's athletics squad, Kelly Sotherton said: "It is an honour to lead a strong and inclusive team into a home Commonwealth Games.
"The athletes that have been selected have worked extremely hard to get into the team where there are genuine medal opportunities across all events.
"Our aim is to ensure we support each athlete’s ambitions to perform at home."
Team England’s chef de mission, Mark England, said: "Athletics is at the heart of every multi-sport Games and one that fans always look out for in the competition schedule.
- 1 Six charged and £11,000 seized after drug raids
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Liam Gallagher's expected setlist for Knebworth Park concert features classic Oasis tracks
- 4 Liam Gallagher set times announced for Knebworth Park concerts
- 5 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 6 Welwyn Hatfield landlord prosecuted for safety breaches at rental property
- 7 Police release CCTV imagery following Hatfield brawl
- 8 Man in his 80s attacked by dog in Welwyn Garden City
- 9 WGC station to receive a makeover by local gardening group
- 10 See inside this unique £7,500 per month rental home in Welwyn Garden City
"We have a phenomenally strong team of athletes and I would like to congratulate all of them on being selected to represent Team England."