It wasn’t Mortal Kombat but Welwyn Garden City still had to battle sub-zero to go back to the top of the table

Dan Bond continued his fine fine goal-scoring form for Welwyn Garden City with another two against C

Dan Bond continued his fine fine goal-scoring form for Welwyn Garden City with another two against Crawley Green. Picture: KARYN HADDON - Credit: Archant

Two first-half goals from the in-form Dan Bond did the necessary, to take Welwyn Garden City back to the top of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division on a freezing midweek night at Herns Lane.

City had lost that position 24 hours earlier thanks to Berkhamsted’s solitary-goal victory over London Colney but Bond’s double, which took his tally to 12 since joining the club in November, helped them to a 2-0 win over Crawley Green.

With a rapidly-freezing pitch the Citizens knew they need a fast start, that has served them so well in recent games, and they got it, taking the lead on seven minutes.

Jon Clements, playing down the middle in the absence of unavailable Ashley Kersey, produced a peach of a pass into the path of winger Charlie Joy and his low cross was well met by Bond.

Nick Elliott tried his luck from distance but Bartlomiej Pedrycz held on to the effort and the visiting keeper also had to be alive to deny Bond with a sharp save with his legs.

You may also want to watch:

But the striker would not be stopped for long and eight minutes from the break he increased WGC’s lead, timing his curving run on to Jon Sexton’s pass perfectly before drilling the ball home.

Charlie May had to make a good stop on the verge of half-time from Josh Bamford to keep that advantage but as the temperatures plummeted, so did the quality of the game in a freezing second-half.

Most Read

Neither side seemed able to lift the play in the sub-zero surroundings and chances were at a premium.

Bond tried a curling effort that Pedrycz held onto and then Bond’s pace took him clear of the Crawley Green defence and set up Elliott, but again the Crawley keeper saved well.

Manager Adam Fisher rang the changes to try and bring some life to the second 45 minutes, introducing Josh Bronti, George Ironton and finally Paul Marks.

But in the end, the frozen crowd raised their biggest cheer of the evening, for referee Mr Mackey’s final whistle, to end the action on a bitterly cold evening.

City host Oxhey Jets on Saturday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus