Sam Higgins (15, 25)
Rickie Hayles (68)
Ellis Brown (86)
Potters Bar Town
Hornchurch cruise past Potters Bar Town in convincing victory
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Hornchurch sealed a comfortable 4-0 victory over Potters Bar Town to bounce back to winning ways in the Isthmian Premier Division on Bank Holiday Monday.
A brace from Sam Higgins as well as goals from Rickie Hayles and Ellis Brown helped the Urchins seal the three points at Bridge Avenue.
The Urchins starting line-up was elevated with the return of Ronnie Winn in the centre of midfield as well as the return of goalkeeper Joe Wright to add more experience into the back line.
Hornchurch's early pressure forced Potters Bar Town into mistakes and nullifying their speed.
The Urchins then got up and running when Liam Nash was fouled by Hafed Al Droubi leading to a penalty being converted by Higgins.
You may also want to watch:
Then 10 minutes later Higgins doubled the lead with a low shot into the left hand corner after Joe Christou pounced on a lazy pass by Aryan Tajbakhsh.
The game then slowed down with no real chances being made by either side.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
But as the second half began, defender Tajbakhsh raised his arm into the face of Christou and received a yellow card, but then after talking back to the referee was given a second yellow and sent off.
Urchins dominated play after the sending off and caused Potters Bar Town countless problems.
A well worked corner by Nash was swung in for Rickie Hayles to plant a header into the bottom right hand corner for 3-0.
Then, just before the full time whistle blew, Charlie Ruff played a lofted ball towards Ellis Brown, who displayed his strength to keep a Potters Bar Town defender away and slotted a fierce shot into the bottom left hand corner to seal a comfortable 4-0 victory.
It was just the kind of result Hornchurch had been thriving for, after defeat to Kingstonian, especially against a usually tricky opponent in Potters Bar Town, who had also had a similar start to the season to Urchins.
This dominant display by the Urchins showed their ambition for the rest of the season to make it difficult for teams to beat them at home.